I know it might be a little early for a Fried Green Tomatoes recipe, especially since for most of us this warm winter turned into a long, extended winter and tomatoes got in the ground a lot later this year. But if you are in Florida like me, green tomatoes are already coming!
This recipe is very similar to my grain free chicken nugget recipe. The day I made these, I had some green tomatoes and leftover batter from the chicken nuggets and thought, well, I will kill two birds with one stone and use up both!
The outcome was heavenly!
- 1 egg and a dash of milk for the egg bath.
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1/3 cup of parmesean cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 6 medium green tomatoes
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Mix egg and dash of milk in a bowl
- Slice green tomatoes a 1/4 of an inch thick
- Turn on heat to medium high in a cast iron skillet to heat up some cooking fat
- Dip tomato slices in egg yolk and then flour mixture and place in the skillet once cooking fat is melted and bubbly
- Cook on each side for about 2 minutes, or until brown and crispy
- Devour your plate of fried green tomatos!