Who’s in the mood for a traditional Irish stew for St. Patty’s day? Well, I have just the slow cooker freezer recipe for you.
- 2-3 pounds of beet stew meat, cut into 1 to 2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons of arrowroot flour
- 2 cups of gluten free beer
- 1 6oz jar of tomato paste
- 2 onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic, coarsly chopped
- 2 tablespoons of dried thyme or 6 to 8 fresh springs
- 6 carrots, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound of chopped, new potatoes
- 2 parsnips, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup of flat leaf parsely, finely chopped, or 1 tablespoon dried parsely
- Label your freezer bag while it is empty and flat
- Chop all of your vegetables and place them in a gallon freezer bag
- Add your meat and your spices
- Massage all the ingredients around together and mix it up well
- Before closing the bag, get as much air out as possible
- Lay it flat like a brick in your freezer
- In a side door freezer they last 3 to 6 months, in a deep freezer they last 6 to 12 months
- Double the above recipe if you want to fill two bags instead of one.
- Dump the frozen brick of food into your slow cooker and add the 2 cups of beer
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4
- It can stay on the warm setting for several hours after it is done, if you have a cooker that automatically switches to the warm setting once it is done cooking
If you are interested in more slow cooker freezer recipes check out my cookbook From Your Freezer To Your Family, Slow Cooker Freezer Recipes For Every Season.