The Smart Baby Super Food You’ve Never Heard About

Prev4 of 4Next
Use the arrow buttons to navigate!

egg yolk babies 5 748

Then crack the egg and pierce the egg yolk and let it drip out into a bowl. Add a little pinch of salt, mix it up and spoon feed your baby nature’s almost perfect nutrition.

I am convinced that a huge part of Penelope’s brilliance is because of her diet. The girl is really, really smart. I swear I am not saying this to brag! It’s only to drive home the point of how important the food we put into our kids’ bodies is, not only for how they will grow physically, but mentally as well.  Penelope was signing words at 6 months, walking at 9 months, knew her ABC’s by 18 months, full sentences by 24 months, and just a couple weeks ago starting writing her long-ass name, at just-turned-3.  Now granted, a part of her brains is from her super smart engineer father, and I am not the dullest light in the box, but still – food is so important!

She literally radiates good health.  She is goregous and her facial features are all perfectly proportioned (scroll through this article to see pictures of what I mean), teeth evenly spaced, not crooked and not a single cavity to be had.   She was a very chubby baby and continued to be thick and healthy. Her skin is always vibrant, never pale and sickly. Part of her radiant health is other things too, like continual chiropratic care, acupuncture and massage. Part of it is genes; my mother gave us poor digestion, but she sure was pretty, too.

Just FYI, we did baby led weaning with Penelope. This means that after she got used to eating an egg yolk, she ate bits and pieces of whatever meat, fruit, and veggies we were eating (and because most of our dinners were slow cooker freezer recipes everything was soft and easy to digest for her!).  I never pureed food, after I experimented with it at the very beginning and decided making baby food was way too much work.  Baby led weaning is not only a healthy option for feeding your kids, it saves a shit ton of time.  If you are hell-bent on making baby food, that’s awesome, good for you, this is a baby food maker that I like.

Penelope eventually stopped wanting to be spood fed egg yolks, and wanted to eat them scrambled or fried.  She also started getting one egg yolk (totally raw) in her smoothies.  Later I upped that to two egg yolks per smoothie.

Start your child on one egg yolk a day, but if they are hungry, keep feeding them!  You can give them as many eggs as you want.  I would give Penelope her egg for dinner, to help fill up her tummy for the night (like most parents are trying to accomplish with rice cereal in the bottle before bed).

If I just totally blew your mind and you have never heard about anyone giving their baby egg yolk as a first food, then definitly check out this ebook by Heather Dessinger, aka Mommypotamus. It’s filled with great information about how to feed your baby right and give them the best start that they deserve, including super easy-to-understand scientific information. Beautiful Babies by Kristen of Food Renegade is also a great resource.  And my book Maiden To Mother: The Mama and Baby Love Guide to a Conscious Childbearing Year is a reader favorite as well.

Prev4 of 4Next
Use the arrow buttons to navigate!

Comments

1. We skipped on the cereal and oatmeal also. I actually gave my son avocado as a first food but eggs were not far behind. He is 11 months old now and has never had cereal and refuses to eat oatmeal so no issues there. Plus, we have switched to mostly gluten free foods as a household so it’s all that he knows. He is definitely a veggie, fruit and meat only kind of kid.

2. Erin Medeiros says:

Dear Stephanie. I was introduced to your website and ebook (slow cooker freezer meals) via facebook – 100 Days of Real Food. I purchased the ebook and was excited when I received it via email…. However, after downloading I contracted a virus on my computer! UGH. Very upset over that… but that’s not the only problem. I had saved this ebook on my computer and now it’s suddenly gone?! I still have the link and 5 more attempts to download but I’m just terrified to contract any further virus, etc on my computer. I was hoping you would kindly look help somehow? I paid around $8 CDN for the ebook – not much, but still money and I’d appreciate having the book as it was full of great recipes and tips that my family has not had the chance to enjoy.
    Sincerely, Erin Medeiros – Ontario,Canada.

3. Megan Harris says:

I love that you shared this important information! I found out about it after my oldest son had been on rice cereal for a few weeks, but we dropped the cereal like a hot potato and began egg yolk. He loved it from the start! My second son had a reaction when we began the egg yolk so we had to skip it until I knew we were past that. I hated that he couldn’t have it in the beginning because it truly is a power food for babies. And, now my little Sarah will be starting foods within the next two months on this and I’m looking forward to trying the yolks with her (keeping my fingers crossed she’s fine with it). Btw, loved the FYI on baby food making, I think I’m going to go your route this time :). LOVE your blog!!!

4. My pediatrician actually said no egg until her first birthday. So we have been avoiding eggs altogether. I wonder why that is. Maybe an older school of thought?

5. Do you soft boil the egg for her smoothies as well? Thanks!

6. Couple of questions, please. My son is 6-1/2 months by gestation age, but 4-1/2 months by adjusted age. He didn’t eat by breast or bottle until 2 months and was released from the NICU at 2-1/2 months. In the last week or so, he is hungry ALL the time – I can’t keep up anymore :( so I am wanting to introduce solids. Would you suggest this for him? I’m nervous about the reaction a previous follower posted about, but know that the pastured egg yolks are truly a superfood. Any advice? Thanks!

• YES! You can start to give egg yolk at 4 months of age. It is one of the most easily digested foods and it is perfectly safe for a 4 month old to be started on egg yolk if it seems like they are ready.

7. So, I’ve read the research, too, and I’m down with egg yolks, and I’m down with avoiding grains, even though I am not entirely convinced that they’re an issue. Better safe than sorry, and not a big deal to avoid the cereal…however, and here’s my sticking point: iron. Yes, I know there’s a host of research and information that Fe is not needed at 6 months for an EBF baby, as it’s been recommended everywhere; but the research is inconclusive, and in the end, I’m not comfortable not supplementing the Fe my milk doesn’t supply. The options for doing that are pretty limited, especially for younger babies. You’ve got the Enfamil iron drops, or the cereal. Yolks are not great sources of iron, whereas the white is; prohibitive until 1, as you pointed out. Plant sources of Fe are non-heme; not absorbed well. Did you do something for Penelope to up her iron intake @ 6 months, if you were avoiding cereal?

8. I gave both my babies eggs right from the start and they still love them, however you should not add any salt to your baby’s diet until they are 1 yr old. It is banned from commercial baby food as their immature kidneys are not developmentally ready to process it.

• Actually, you can give good sea salt, just a tiny dash for flavor and for the very important minerals in it. TABLE salt is what is bad, not sea salt.
      And I would not take any nutritional advice from commercial baby food companies, they make decisions based on money.

• Hi Stephanie, I love your blog and agree with almost everything you believe in and the principles you follow. However I am going to have to disagree with you on the salt factor for babies. Yes, sea salt is a healthier form of salt in terms of minerals and less processing etc, I use it in all my cooking for that very reason. The problem with salt for babies is the sodium content and there is very little difference in sodium content between sea salt and table salt with both being approximately 40% sodium. The dietary guidlines for babies 0-6months is 0g sodium, they receive all they require from breast/formula milk. For babies 7-12 months the guidlines recommend no more than 0.4g sodium per day, which is quickly gained from naturally occurring sources eg vegetables, meat, eggs etc. Bone broths made from organic animal bones (with no added salt) are a much better source of vital minerals and should be added to babies foods, as well as sea vegetables for vital iodine. I know I am preaching to the converted in terms of doing the utmost to ensure maximum nutrition for babies through healthful foods, they are so precious that we need to do all we can to set them up with the healthiest bodies possible before they head off into the world and our control is lessened. Don’t get me started on sugar!! :)
        PS have you seen Jude Bleerau’s Wholefood for Children? It is an excellent book with great recipes and advice for feeding children healthy, wholesome food.

• We will just have to agree to disagree then. :) I put the tiniest pinch in, and there was no other sodium in her diet whatsoever (the only thing she was eating was egg yolk and breastmilk). I am not telling people to put salt in it, simply sharing what I did.

• amie hammond says:

i’m with you on this one, stephanie. Sea salt is a totally different animal, and does carry trace nutrients as well as flavor. While i appreciate the care and love mel is acting from, dietary guidelines of our day are NOT something i would follow or advocate following, as they list grains as the basis of a healthy diet, and restrict fat intake even in toddlers… we must take all suggestion with a pinch of salt (sorry, couldn’t help the cheesy pun :-) )

• lol, with a pinch of salt.

9. Thanks for sharing! I knew this, actually ;) and am so glad more people are finding out. We try not to do grains much, if at all in our house. Primal family.

10. Jessica Murray says:

Ugh! Why didn’t I know this 4 years ago when I started having kids? I am making drastic changes at home with our food choices, but it can be frustrating that I have to educate myself on nutrition. I had no idea about processed foods and GMO’s and everything else that is terrible in our diets. And I am a well educated person who read lots of baby books before having kids. (I guess I read the wrong books.) Thank you SO MUCH for your website! Better late than never for my family!

11. Fortunately, I read Heather’s book while my son was exclusively breastfeeding. He took to avocado, home stocks and banana before eggs. I don’t feed him any grains at home and hope the occasional grain that a well meaning relative gives won’t hurt.

• Awesome. Yes, my daguhter has had the occasional grain here and there too over the last couple of years. As much as I want to protect her from the outside world I know I can’t and I just hope and pray that the foundation I give her will be enough to keep her healthy for life.

12. I follow the Weston A Price guidelines, and have read Sally Fallon Morrell’s new book on baby and child care. I have found myself so frustrated with this whole egg thing. I gave my four month old some egg yolk…she threw up. I waited a month, gave it to her again…she threw up ( I mean three hours later threw up multiple times over a two hour period). So month six I try again….and again she threw up. Does this mean I have created an allergy in her. These eggs were from pasture raised hens and soy free. I would love some advice on this. Anyimte i try to feed my baby anything she gags like crazy. Sally Fallon has put such an emphasis on feeding at six months egg yolk and liver because of iron deficiency. But my baby just does not seem to want food at all right now. And I’m so concerned about the fact that she throws up when we give her egg yolk.

• Well, I dont’ think you created the allergy, but she may have an egg allergy. Does she throw up when you give her liver? Or just gag? She may just not be developmentally ready. If they are gaging, that means they haven’t figured out the whole breath/chew/swallow at the same time thing. We worked with an acupuncture dr. to clear my daughter’s egg allergy.

• Adrianne says:

Hi, Stephanie! I was recently introduced to your blog and I’m so grateful for all of the information (and humor!) I have been following Nurturing Traditions suggestions for my 6 month old daughter and had the same experience as the person above. On two separate occasions (2 weeks apart) has thrown up a couple of hours after eating very small amounts of egg yolk. My question is–do you think the fact that she doesn’t seem to tolerate egg yolk yet suggests that she isn’t ready for solid foods at all?

• It could be, or it could be a true egg yolk allergy. They are rare but do occur. Do you go to any alternative wellness practioners that know how to do muscle testing? That would be an easy way to find out what is going on.

• Egg yolk is a really great baby food, but the Nourishing Traditions recommendation to give it as a first food at 4-6 months has actually been hotly debated amongst hardcore WAPF following mothers. A lot of babies do just fine, but there are equal amounts of babies who do not tolerate it at all, and it has nothing to do with an egg allergy as those babies go on to eat eggs later with no issues. Sally Fallon also does not agree with baby led weaning, which is a big part of the problem and why so many mothers have had bad experiences with her recommendations. I just wanted you to know you are not alone in those experiences and your best bet will always be to follow your instincts.

13. Rachel says:

I’d really like to give my 7 1/2 month old the egg yolk, but I’m worried about raw eggs with bacteria such as salmonella and making him terribly sick. Is this something to worry about?

14. valerie says:

thanks so much for your blog and this post. i am actually a physician and got into reading about first foods due to the recent changes in recommendations from the american academy of pediatrics allowing a lot more flexibility in starting solids. i have been amazed that western medicine seems so far behind the curve on this matter! anyhow, i have a 6mo old that i just recently started on the soft boiled egg yolks and that’s going beautifully. i am curious if you tried giving meat stocks at all or know any details as far as how much to give them and whether it’s best to spoon feed them the broth or put in a cup/bottle? i plan to proceed with baby led weaning as well…heather mentions 8mos as a good time to start foods other than egg yolk, stock and meat purees…would you agree with this? my little kayleigh seems awfully hungry and i just want to make sure i’m giving her enough right now :)

• I would say go with your gut, each kid is different. When all four first teeth come in are a big sign of readiness. I wish I would have given broth in a sippy cup, and gotten Penelope used to it as a baby.

15. Jennifer says:

So, you mentioned you and your daughter have poor digestion. How would you know if someone has poor digestion?

• Oh man, it has so many symptoms its crazy. Constipation, diarehha are classic ones, but gas and bloating too. But then all kinds of other things like food sensitivies, excemza, allergies, mood swings, sleeping issues, learning disabilities. I would recommend reading the GAPS Diet book to see all the different ways it can manifest.

16. I read somewhere that you shouldn’t feed babies soft yolks as it is undercooked and there lies the possibility of getting salmonella. Is this not true? I currently feed my 2-yr old son eggs everyday, hard boiled, scrambled & fried but I’ve always cooked the yolk through in fear of making him ill. Also, my daughter is 10 mo’s, I was under the impression eggs were a no-no until year 1. I will start her on soft yolks now rather than wait until just under 1 like I did w/ my son. Lastly, I must have had my info all switched around, when my son was just under a year, my hubby and I cooked egg whites, thinking the yolk was a no-no. Not sure where I read that one, but apparently I was missing a beat. Any thoughts? Thanks for sharing this article!! Love your blog!

• Yeah, it’s the whites that are a problem before 1 years of age. If your 10 month old will eat a fried egg that is great too. Getting salmonella from raw egg yolk is very, very rare. Check out the post I did on raw egg yolks for babies to learn more.

17. Oh my , today I was browsing the internet on what my 8 month old can eat and came across your blog. My lo has been eating cereal since 4 months. The doc said it was ok for her to eat oatmeal and so I went with that and did not research it. After reading this information, I need to stop it ASAP! But how? If I feed her 1 teaspoon of cereal how much yolk should I replace it with? Any suggestions will be helpful.

• Hey Katie! Don’t beat yourself up, there are many, many doctors who are unknowingly giving out misinformation and are just not up to date on current research. It’s sad.
      Just stop giving her the cereal and start giving her as much egg yolk as she wants. Pay close attention to her cues of being full, since you are spoon feeding her. You can give her as much egg yolk as you want, and if she only wants a couple of spoonfuls that is ok too.

18. Hi Stephanie

I just came across this post today and I’m quite interested in the smoothie idea with the egg yolk, I’ve got a picky eater here but if it comes in any form of bottle or cup she will drink it. I’ve been trying for so long to get her to eat egg without success, she hates the texture of both scrambled and boiled, so my best bet of getting egg down is in the smoothie, how do you make it or what do you put in it? She is 18 months old now.

Thanks

19. How early would you recommend starting your baby on egg yolk?

20. Hi Stephanie. I totally agree with you about egg yolks being one of the most nutrient rich foods we can feed our babies. I do have one question. After soft boiling an egg, how quickly do I have to feed it to my son? (he’s 8 months old) I want to make him one in the morning & drop it off with him at daycare. Do you think it would be ok If I put the yolk in a glass jar for about an hour? Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Daina

• Hmm..that is a really good question. I stayed home with my daugther when she was a baby,so I always just fed it to her immediatly. I think this is just gonna have to take some experimentation on your part! I don’t see any reason you couldn’t pour the egg yolk into a glass food container. And then if it coauglates in the fridge just have the care giver warm up some water in a bowl and place the container in the bowl. Come back and let me know what you did so I can share with other mamas!

21. Hello very interesting))) just wondering can I give raw egg yolks??? Also maybe someone can give me a tip. My baby is 10 1/2 months young she been crazy constipated ever since I started solids now after reading this maybe cuz of oatmeal cereal….(((( will stop giving her that now. But what can I do about constipation problem

22. Please help. Thankfully I have come across your site. I have an 8 month old boy who loves to eat…everything. Unfortunately, I didn’t know oatmeal, Wheatabix (UK) and whole meal toast was bad, so he has been devouring them! Now I read about egg yolk and not giving sweet fruit! He loves bananas. I have him his first egg yolk this morning which he devoured. Please help as I am unsure how many egg yolks I can give him in one sitting to satisfy his huge appetite. And should I give it to him for all his meals? Also, I am a vegetarian, so I wasn’t planning on giving him meat. Now I am concerned that I am not giving him proper nutrients. He does eatfull fat goats yogurt…hoping that’s ok.

I realise your last post on here was a while ago, but I am really hoping I get a reply. Thanks so much in advance.

-Tracy … The Confused Mama!

1. […] smoothies jam packed with extra nutrition like spirulina powder, probiotics, cod liver oil and raw egg since she was about 10 months old.  Penelope has always been a bit picky (thanks to the compromised […]

2. […] | Interesting article on what baby’s first food should be. Interesting enough, I think it’s very common in […]

3. […] restoring your nutritional stores.  I would also spend some time making sure your child is getting adequate nutrition now, to make up for any lack of nutrition they may not have received because your body was not yet at […]

4. […] especially for young children but would never consider doing that with store bought eggs (check out Mama and Baby Love for more […]