Over the years I have picked up healthy habits here and there. Some I would only pull out in an official detox period, like dry brushing, and some have always been a daily habit, like lemon water.
After finally reading the GAPS Diet book (it took me years to get the courage to even read it because it felt so overwhelming!) I decided that I needed to do more daily detox things to help undo some of the damage to my body and digestive system from unhealthy eating during my childhood and early twenties.
Here are ten easy things I do every day to feel great and be healthy:
- As soon as I wake up, I drink a glass of room temperature or warm filtered water. Sometimes I add a half of a lemon to it. And sometimes I add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it (I started with 1/2 teaspoon and built up to 1 tablespoon).
- I don’t eat breakfast until 10 a.m., to give my body more of a chance to detox from the night time, and give my digestion a break.
- I eat eggs every single morning, cooked in raw grass fed butter or bacon grease. I also usually eat several pieces of bacon or sausage. No bread, no oatmeal. I am not perfect, some days I eat a gluten free chocolate chip cookie for breakfast, but 80% of the time I eat really good.
- I drink Dandy Blend instead of coffee and have a tablespoon of coconut oil in each cup. I usually drink about two cups a morning, either before or during breakfast.
- I do dry brushing before every shower.
- I eat an entire avocado every day. Sometimes it’s only a half, if I am really full and can’t get it down, but most of the time it’s a full avocado.
- I eat a soup, stew or a cup of broth once a day. Super easy to do since a ton of my slow cooker freezer recipes are soups and stews.
- I eat or drink one fermented thing a day, whether its fermented kimchi or salsa, or kombucha, something that has some probiotics and digestive enzymes in it. I also take digestive enzymes supplements after lunch and dinner. You can see this post to see what other supplements I take.
- I do a couple minutes of yoga and stretching every day. Usually when I first get up or before bed. Nothing crazy, just enough to keep my circulation going and lymphatic system working well, my joints lubricated and release tension.
- I sleep 7 to 8 hours every night, with an eye mask on my eyes to block all light so I can get into a deeper and healthier REM sleep cycle. I also sleep by myself. I do not sleep well next to my husband, he is always moving around, stealing my blanket, making noises, and otherwise driving me insane. Not only do I get more sleep without him next to me, but I also don’t fantasize about suffocating him with a pillow anymore. So if anyone says that sleeping in separate rooms is bad for your marriage – I disagree. It’s what has kept us together for almost a decade! Just FYI, I did co-sleep with Penelope for two years. I am willing to lose sleep for a baby, just not a man-baby. :)
Does doing all these things guarantee I’m going to be happy, healthy, and have a perfect life? Hardly. But after doing them, I know this – they help. A lot! What are your never-forget, make-every-day-better habits?