Freezer Cooking: Cilantro Shrimp

• 1 bag of baby carrots
  • Day of cooking add
  • juice of 2 limes
  • water
  • grass fed butter

Instructions

To preassemble the meals for freezing
  1. Dump shrimp, cilantro and garlic into two separate one gallon freezer bags
  2. Divide bag of carrots into two smaller ziploc bags and place inside the gallon bag
  3. Day of cooking
  4. To cook carrots first, put in cast iron skillet with water, just barely covering the carrots with water
  5. Boil them and add butter as the water evaporates completely and the carrots are soft
  6. Once carrots are cooked, transfer to a plate and set aside
  7. Put a dollop of butter in the skillet and add garlic, shrimp and cilantro
  8. Cook for about 4 minutes, until shrimp is cooked throughly
  9. Add the juice of one lime and mix together
  10. Serve immediately with side of carrots

We all know I love my slow cooker, but I also love quick and easy one dish meals like my scallops in baconĀ vinaigrette.

I came up with this recipe when I needed to use up some frozen wild shrimp in my freezer.

I always buy all organic produce, but do the best you can.

Would you all like to see more easy, one dish meals or are you all loyal to your slow cookers? :)

Comments

1. I’ll take any one-dish recipe you got. I love the slow cooker, but one-dish/easy recipes from the freezer are fairly doable as well. Plus it’s fun to see new ideas.

2. Brandi Lomack says:

One dish meals are a good way to mix things up so that my family doesn’t dread walking in & seeing the crockpot. :)

3. paula j says:

I have a friend that would love this so I’m passing it on.

4. Courtney says:

Hello! I purchased the ecookbook, but not seeing if it went through. Sorry to post a comment here- I couldn’t find a spot to otherwise contact you. Could you check for me please? I need to get started on some freezer meals asap- thanks! Courtney@ courtneyholker@gmail.com

5. It’s nice to see a one dish dinner that doesn’t involve pasta. I am Italian-blooded, and trust me, I love some Pasta! But choosing a balanced diet means sometimes we get our carbs from carrots instead of pasta. I will try this soon!

6. This looks delish! Please add more one-dish wonders :)

7. I would love more one dish meals like this! I often forget to get things into the crockpot early enough so things that I can pull out at the last minute are great! Also, I love that even though my kids are allergic to a number of things I can easily tweak your recipes to fit our needs since you use REAL FOOD!

8. alicia force says:

I have just found you (thru 100 days of eating real whole food challenge blog.. or something like that).. I am hoping you are the answer to my prayers.. I will be purchasing your book… I would love to see more of these freezable one dish meal recipes. Non Crockpot quick meals are so in demand as well. It’s a great mix!
    I love that you even go through the painstaking task of creating the grocery list for us. I can pick the meals for the week but seem overwhelmed to do that and am constantly at grocery store spending so much on ingred. that I use maybe once . I love that I have found you and you are giving me hope that I too can create REAL Food meals that my family might actually eat. Thanks for the hard work and taking the chance …. I am sure it will come back to you!!!

9. Kandace says:

Do you put the freezer bag in the fridge the night before to allow time to thaw? It sounds so good. I can’t wait to try it :)

10. Tammy Willoughby says:

Thanks for sharing your strategy for providing wonderful dinners for your family in a simple, time-efficient, and cost-effective way. Years ago when we were a family of 5, I did ‘Once a Month Freezer Cooking’, taking 2 full days for shopping and cooking…quite exhausting. Now that there are only 2 of us at home, and I am starting grad school with a 2-hour commute one way, your strategy will allow me to be able to not only enjoy amazing dinners with my daughter, but to also send freezer meals home with my son who is a university student and uses his crockpot often. I prepared 24 freezer crockpot meals using your recipes and strategies yesterday afternoon! I am also very interested in your semi-freezer quick stove/oven options. Ordering your eCookbook today!

11. Thank you! What a great idea!!! I am so excited to do this! I have been good at freezing meals (that I have to cook). But, I am so excited to come home to cooked meals!!

12. how would you convert this to a crockpot recipe with chicken? is it as simple as add chicken, stick in freezer bag? ;) Thanks! Love your recipes and ideas!

13. I did a good bit of pre planned meals when I had my kiddos at home and in school. They always felt deprived that I wouldn’t feed them ‘sugar’ cereal for breakfast. I make sausage biscuits and breakfast burritos and they could zap in microwave as they were running out the door. Nowadays, I work 12 hours at night and with commute my day (night) is 14 hrs. I have no time, energy or desire to cook on those days so I will be trying out your book. We are lucky in the fact that we have a local business here that makes prepared meals, freezes them and you just pop in oven when I wake up. He just doesn’t use organic meat, so I mostly stick to fish or seafood entrees. I’m trying to talk him into test selling organic meats but I hope with your book, I can prepare my own at a better cost. I live near the gulf so have abundant seafood and fish whereas the organic must come from Whole Foods at a hefty price. More seafood…. ESP shrimp, crawfish and fish recipes would be awesome!!! Look forward to trying your book out! Thanks!

14. Is there a certain taste to “wild caught shrimp” that is essential to the recipe, or is that more a personal philosophical food choice that you make? I only ask because not everyone’s budget might stretch to that plus “all organic produce, but do the best you can.” Sometimes “doing the best you can” means juggling choices to make sure the kids have proper winter boots, etc.

15. I’m soooo glad you didn’t put shrimp in the slow cooker! Haha! This looks great! Can’t wait to try it out, and it is nice and easy change up from the crock pot meals! Thanks!

• Exactly! Although, just fyi, you can put shrimp in a slow cooker like in my Valencian Paella recipe in my cookbook, but you just add it the last thirty minutes of cooking. ;)

16. Hi,
    I’m new to your website. Is there a way to print this recipe? Thanks!

• We are actually in the process of going back through old posts and installing an easier way to print recipes. But for now, only thing you can do is copy and paste and hit print selection. :)