Orange Beef Stew

Big thanks to Kanvas Beauty  for doing my makeup and to Pink Narcissus for my beautiful dress. I originally posted the recipe for Orange Beef Stew in my second slow cooker freezer recipe post.  It’s amazing what a ride this simple idea has taken me on.  My eCookbook, From Your Freezer To Your Family, is filled with similar slow cooker freezer recipes just like this one.

When I first posted my recipes, I never in a million years thought people would be so excited about it.  I thought it was just me that was excited!

This recipe impressed my mother-in-law.  I remember the day she complimented me on it.  It took all my will power to keep my jaw from dropping to the floor.  I thought to myself, “Holy Shit!  The woman who never compliments anyone, who also is a really good cook, just complimented me on something I made!”  I don’t know about you, but if you are married to a hispanic male, especially one who is an only child, you know what I am talking about. So if that doesn’t tell you how good this is, I don’t know know what else will. I have tweaked it a bit from its original recipe.  The updated recipe is below.   I hope you like it as much as my MIL.

Orange-Beef Stew

Ingredients

• 3 to 4 pounds of chuck roast
  • 2 cups of beef broth
  • 2 cups of orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon of rapadura sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of arrow root powder/flour
  • 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
  • 1 bunch of scallions
  • 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Label your one-gallon freezer bag
  2. Chop sweet potatoes and scallions, then add to freezer bag
  3. Add in sugar, arrow root flour, soy sauce, garlic and orange juice
  4. Mix up well and then lay bag flat and place in freezer
  5. Day of cooking: add contents of freezer bag, roast, 2 cups of beef broth, salt and pepper to slow cooker
  6. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours
  7. Serve with fresh salad and homemade sourdough bread, if you have it

Just FYI, the meat I used is from Deep Roots Farm.  I bought a quarter of a cow last year and got several chuck and rump roast cuts from that purchase. Buying 1/4 of a cow was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I love having a freezer full of meat and knowing that the cow I am eating was well treated, well fed, and humanely killed. I love knowing that I am supporting my local economy and a local farmer and that the meat I am feeding my family is the absolute healthiest and most nutritious option for them.

If you are interested in more slow cooker freezer recipes check out my cookbook From Your Freezer To Your Family, Slow Cooker Freezer Recipes. And you also might want to get on my email newsletter list, to be the first to know (and have exclusive access to discounts) when my second slow cooker freezer recipe cookbook comes out later this year.

Comments

1. This looks delicious and perfect for weeknight cooking! One question though… what is “rapadura sugar?”

2. Rebecca says:

You are too cute! I have been following your blog for a little while now, but don’t comment often. But I just had to say, congrats on getting a TV slot and promoting easy, healthy eating. I have never heard of the sugar or the flour you used but will definitely be looking into it. Thanks for the great recipe!

3. Jessica says:

Great segment! This looks super tasty. I will have to try it. Our slow cooker broke, but we’ve been using the dutch oven instead. How well do the fresh green onions hold up to freezing? I put some cabbage in the freezer that we had overflow from our garden and it loses its crunch. I have used it in soups and that is ok, but it pretty much breaks down.

• Thanks! They get soft just like other veggies do in a slow cooker.

• Cassandra says:

Jessica, nothing will come out of the freezer still crunchy. The water molecules inside the fruit/vegetable freeze, causing expansion, and when it thaws out, the water has room to come out of it, leaving it mushy/limp. Unless you plan on cooking it or blending it up, don’t freeze it. If you want your extra cabbage to maintain some crunch, try homemade sauerkraut!

4. Jessica says:

The recipe looks awesome and so did the video! Great job!

5. Jessica Garcia says:

You did a great job on TV! Thanks for posting the link. I live in CA and would not have been able to see it otherwise. So happy you are promoting healthy meat, and alternatives to white flour and white sugar! AWESOME! BTW, I have tried this recipe before and out of all your slow cooker freezer meals, it is my hubby’s favorite! Thanks for all your information. I am a dedicated follower.

Have a great day!

6. Amary Right says:

I love your dress. You look great and did a great job. Being dressed confidently and beautifully adds so much to your confidence. I find this even on a grocery shopping outing. May God bless you!

7. i’m from australia and not sure what you mean when recipe says tomato sauce in a can. we can buy tomato juice, tomato paste, tomato pasta sauce or tomato sauce(ketchup).
    thanks

8. Laura Bickmore says:

Where do you buy your rapadura?

9. Cristina says:

Go Stephanie! That was awesome, I am so impressed!

10. KarinSDCA says:

I just found your blog and facebook page yesterday. LOVE IT ALL!!!!!
    Your video and recipe look delicious and I really love how you incorporated rapadura, arrowroot powder, homemade beef broth, and local farm pastured beef into the TV spot! You go girl!

11. Natalie says:

I just found out I have celiac disease. What is arrowroot flour? I am just beginning to learn about flour alternatives. I pretty much ate bread all of the time, so I am looking for yummy recipes that taste so good I won’t think about eating bruschetta!!!!!:) can’t wait to try it.

• arrowroot is gluten free so it may be a good option for you, but I am not sure. Google it and see what comes up about celiac disease. So glad you know you have it, so many people have no idea they have it and why they are suffering. Although, in my opinion I think everyone needs to drastically cut grain intake.

12. LaurenLou says:

First, I LOVE your sight! My question is, you happen to have the calories per serving/serving size for this recipe? Thanks!

• Thank you! I do not have it off hand, but there are a couple of websites that you can enter a recipe and it spits out the calorie info. But honestly, I do not count calories, I just focus on putting healthy and nutritious food into my body. When I stopped counting calories and switched to full fat everything I started loosing weight. :)

13. Hi,
    Love this page. :)
    Jst one question… Can I freeze the bag of chopped up stuff for a week? Before i slow cook it on the weekend?

14. This site is becoming my favorite ever!!! Question – can you freeze the roast together with the OJ, veggie mix?

• That makes my day! There is a ton of information in the archives, so make yourself at home. Yes, you can freeze them together. But since I buy my cow from a farm and buy in bulk, my cuts of meat are already frozen. But if yours are raw, just add everything together in the bag.

15. Thanks for posting this! One question: is there any reason we can’t add the beef broth to the freezer bag and freeze it along with the other ingredients?

Thanks!

16. Nikki Smith says:

This looks yummy and like you I also buy a lot of my meat in bulk from a local farmer. So I am wondering if a recipe calls for you to chop all the chicken or a roast ect do you thaw the meat the day of and prep then? or do you thaw it and refreeze with the recipe?Thanks for you great recipes I look forward to purchasing your book. :)

• I usually assemble the veggies, stock and spices in a bag and then add the frozen bag and the already frozen meat to the slow cooker the day I want to cook it.

• nicole says:

I was wondering this too…I can see where it would work with a whole roast. But, if the chicken was supposed to be cut up for the meal, or a roast cubed up into stew meat, would we do that they day we at to the crock pot if we buy all meat in bulk (by defrosting and then cutting and adding)? I know you aren’t supposed to defrost then refreeze meat so I’ve been wondering how to make that work as well.

• If you don’t want to cut up the meat you can add it whole, no problem. If your meat is already frozen from buying in bulk, just put everything else in the bag expcept meat. Then day of cooking then just dump bag of ingredients and corresponding cut of meat in the slow cooker.

17. Can cornstarch or .four be used in place of arrowroot? Where can one get arrowroot?

18. Jessica says:

Quick question on this recipe. If you dont explicitly say add the chuck roast to the bag for freezing, does that mean that the meat should not be in there and should go in fresh from the fridge or the store?

Thanks!
    Jessica

• Meat can be added or not to all my slow cooker freezer recipes. Some people buy their meat in bulk and it’s already frozen, so in that case you would just assemble everything but the meat and then just add the meat the day of cooking. Some don’t like mixing raw meat and veggies together. So they freeze them sepearatly. It’s really just a matter of preference.

1. [...] do my TV cooking appearances. I got to wear a Trina Turk dress from Narcissus the first week, a Lilly Pulitzer dress from Pink Narcissus the second week, and denim dress from Kayce Hughes the third week.  I [...]

2. [...] example, here’s her recipe for Orange Beef Stew. It’s flavorful, delicious, and so most improved than anything from a carton. She has all in [...]