My #1 Weight Loss Tip

I gained about 80 pounds when I was pregnant with Penelope.

Here are a couple of pictures so you can see for yourself.

I was 34 weeks here.  I think I stopped weighing myself at this point.  Not a single stretch mark though.

This is a ridiculous picture, but I just had to share.  I really should have weighed my boobs to see how much of the weight was in my chest.

This is two days after Penelope was born. I immediately lost about 25 pounds after I gave birth to her.

By early fall last year, when Penelope was almost two, I had lost all of my pregnancy weight plus about 15 pounds more.  I have since added on about five pounds.

Here is how I lost the weight:

I started eating better, but I still do not eat perfectly.  I can put away a dozen gluten free cookies like it ain’t no thang.

I began exercising regularly, but nothing too hard. I did do a workout class with a personal trainer about two times a week for a year, I highly recommend hiring a personal trainer if you can afford it.  Get several of your friends and do it together to reduce costs.  Also, Self Magazine online has lots of great workout videos.

My point is that I am not busting my butt doing Cross Fit or training for a marathon or anything.  I power walk about two times a week, I do old school sit ups, push ups, and lunges for about 20 minutes three times a week, and I try to go to yoga once a week.

I know breastfeeding helped a ton too.  Your body is burning so many calories when you produce milk.

My biggest tool and my best tip is cod liver oil supplements.  I did not even understand how I lost so much weight until I found out more about the cod liver oil supplements I had been taking.

Cod liver oil is not only highly nutritious and helps your body work better and your brain function properly (so you don’t crave so much junk), but it also has the added benefit of actually raising your metabolism.  This one little pill increases the levels of fat-burning enzymes and decreases levels of fat-storage enzymes in your body.

I think this is the number one thing that helped reset my normal body weight.  With cod liver oil I hover around 132/134.  Before taking cod liver oil, I hovered around 146/148.  That is a big difference to me!

So if you have been trying to get rid of the last 5 to 10 pounds of fat for, like, ever, try cod liver oil.  And make sure it’s the good stuff from Green Pastures.  I can’t verify results from any other brand.  And no, Green Pastures did not pay me to say that.  That’s how awesome this stuff is!!  I will get paid a small amount from Amazon if you order your cod liver oil through them.

And if you are eating healthy already but are not taking cod liver oil, you are not really eating healthy until you add this supplement to your diet.  Find out why here.

Has anyone experienced weight loss with taking cod liver oil supplements?

Comments

1. Carolyn says:

Stephanie — Is it safe while nursing? I’d assume so based on when you said you were taking it.

2. Lindsey says:

Thanks for the tip! I gained 90lbs with my 1st son & never lost it before immediately getting pregnant again! Luckily I was able to minimize my weight gain the 2nd time around to 6lbs (at this point I was considered morbidly obese so the OB said gaining more than 10lbs could cause a lot of problems). Were you able to take the cod liver oil while you were breastfeeding? And have you continued taking it even after reaching your goal?

Ps You were such a beautiful pregnant woman! Props to you for being able to wear a bikini!! And for not having any stretch marks!!

• Yes! You need to be taking this supplement pregnant and nursing, it is full of essential vitamins and nutrients. I upped my dosage to two pills one in the morning and one at night when I was pregnant. I will take cod liver oil till the day I die. Thank you for your kind comments. I love my pregnant body. I had no idea how big I was until after she was born!

• Cassandra says:

Just FYI, two pills is far below the recommended dosage (says a lot!). Women of childbearing age should take 2tsp per day, which is something like 12 pills a day, I can’t remember exactly. I make my own pills using size 000 gel caps and 8 pills is 2 tsp.
        Edit: Found it! It’s actually 16 pills a day for 2 tsp.

• Good lord! Then it really gets expensive! I guess I should be taking more than I realized!

• Cassandra says:

I got lucky and caught a sale and a bulk order so I got several for $25 a bottle for the liquid. Then I make my own pills and fortunately Addie sucks it off the spoon, then cries for more!

• Cassandra says:

Lindsey, I was a morbidly obese pregnant woman too and I just want to let you know, for future reference, the whole “gain more than 10 lbs and bad things will happen!” is a load of crapola. It is always, always, always best to focus on your health separate from weight gain, even in pregnancy, even if you’re already morbidly obese. There was a time I got annoyed by Stephanie talking about wanting to lose weight, but then she explained that sugar and other junk is what causes belly fat and actually spurred me to do more research into the matter (because she’s awesome like that). It’s not that CLO is this magic bullet for shedding pounds, but that the healthy fats and vitamins present greatly contribute to the body regulating itself and therefore also trimming down. Not to mention that eating fat helps you lose fat in general.

If you happen to find yourself pregnant again and still dealing with weight issues, please give this blog a read (I’ve linked directly to the posts about weight gain in pregnancy, but the whole blog is awesome): http://wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/search/label/weight%20gain%20in%20pregnancy

3. Karina says:

I’ve heard though several different people about the benefits of cod liver oil, maybe it’s time I start listening! Do you take any other supplements too? I know CLO has high amounts of Vitamin A and D in it, so I was curious if you take a multi, or any other separate supplements?

Thanks for the extra nudge to finally give this stuff a whirl!

• Oh yes, I love my supplements. :) I take several amino acids to help my sugar cravings and regulate my hormone levels, I take a multi and something called Protandim (if you look to the left there is an ad button, because I actually sell it). If you do a search on my blog you will find more info.

• Cassandra says:

If you’re looking for the perfect complement to CLO, definitely consider taking butter oil, or a vitamin K2 supplement. Thorne is the only brand I know with a good straight K2 supp and you only need 1-2 drops per day, it lasts forever. Vitamin K plays a big, big role in restoring tissues, especially bone and teeth (helps prevent and cure tooth decay!), as well as metabolism of vitamin D.

4. What a great tip! I gained 24 lbs with my son and when I left the hospital I was down 25 lbs! P is now 5 months old and I am down 51 lbs, with another 22 to go! Hopefully this supplement will assist me in getting off that extra weight! Thank you!

5. Is this what you took?
    Green-Pastures-Blue-Fermented-Liver
    … What is your dosage recommendation for nursing mothers? My son is 3 months old and I’m exclusively nursing.

6. Britney L. says:

Hi, I just found your posting here and I’m intrigued. With my first baby I lost all but the last 10 lbs, and the same story was true for my second. So, I’m like 20 lbs from where I was before having kids and I’m trying to fight it. I’m just curious, what supplements do you take exactly? (I’m especially interested in what you take to stabilize your hormones and to ward off sugar cravings) How many pills is that in a day? Do you take them with food? How much water do you drink in a day?

7. Rachel says:

I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and take 6 of the Green Pastures butter/CLO pills a day. This is my first pregnancy, so I can’t say that I would be feeling worse if I weren’t taking them, but so far I do feel pretty great! Interesting that you feel they help you loose weight. I didn’t start taking them religiously until after I got pregnant, but I will definitely continue after and…here’s hoping it works!

• Good to know. Did you contact them and that is what they said for pregnancy amounts?

• I didn’t contact Green Pastures directly, but the website that Cassandra linked to is what I’ve seen as a recommendation for pregnant women. I just can’t imagine going through the pills so quickly…I already have a mini panic attack when I order two bottles every couple of months! :-)
        Do you mind if I ask what Penelope weighed when she was born? Like I said, I’m 34 weeks, and I’ve already gained just under 30 pounds. My husband and his brother were born at just over 10 lbs each, so I’m starting to get a little nervous! I am planning a home birth, and a water birth as well! Oh, and no stretch marks here, either…I wonder if the healthy fats from the CLO help with that?

• The more I read the more I think diet plays a part in stretch marks. Penelope was 9 pounds, 1 once. I have seen much larger babies be born vaginally, but she was pretty big!

• Cassandra says:

Recommended dosages are actually far higher than that, so you could probably see much greater benefit from taking more. Due to the cost, I don’t blame you for not taking more!

• I’ve seen that post, Cassandra, but I just can’t afford to take 16 capsules a day! After I give birth, I might try to take the butter/CLO in non-pill form. It is definitely less expensive, and I’ve heard that if you get a flavor like the cinnamon tingle that it doesn’t taste too bad. I just don’t think I could handle it now…I already get the fishy burps from what I currently take. Hopefully 6 a day is at least somewhat beneficial to my growing baby.

• Do the best you can, 6 a day puts you way ahead of most people, so you are doing good things for your baby, so don’t stress.

• Kathryn says:

Hi Stephanie, I know this is an old thread but I have a question.
            I want to get back on CLO, I’m going to order from green pastures. Do you think it should affect my dosage if I am getting a lot of sun during here summer months? I don’t know my viramin D levels
            but I actively sunbathe 3xs a week for 30 minutes. And my kids have naturally tan Spanish skin and I try to make sure they get adequate sunshine. Just wondering for my sake and theirs if you think this should affect our dosage. I’m also EBF’ing a 6 month huge baby boy! Thanks for all you do!

• Honestly, I wouldn’t take less even if you are getting a good amount of sun. Unless of course you do muscle testing or some other medical test to see how much Vitamin D you are actually absorbing (the slighest issue in digestion will decrease absorption of nutrients significantly). Is there such a thing as too much Vitamin D, but in our society and diet it is really rare.

8. I am taking fish oil right now…can I take cod liver oil and fish oil at the same time? Taking the fish oil helped me out a lot so I don’t want to give it up but the cod liver oil sounds great!

• I don’t know what fish oil you are taking, but I don’t take any extra fish oil. So I bet you could just swap them out.

• Cassandra says:

Agree with Stephanie, I would swap the two. Fish oil tends to be heavily processed and has additives, just by the very nature of being fish oil. There isn’t nearly as much benefit either.

9. Elizabeth says:

Let me just say, I absolutely LOVE all of your pregnancy pics you post!! You are gorgeous!!

10. Kelly Cooper says:

I think you read my mind with this post! I have battled hormonal acne since college and it has only subsided for me while pregnant and nursing, but this time it appears to be returning while I am still exclusively nursing. I am DEFINITELY getting this! For the acne, weight loss and all the other good stuff the reviews on Amazon also listed. I will be keeping my eye out to see what the company recommends as a dose for nursing moms…thank you Stephanie!

• Yes, it helped with my acne as well. Although, I find that my acne gets worst the more sugar I eat. How has your been on your no sugar diet?

• Kelly Cooper says:

All was well until about a week ago and suddenly the acne is back in full force. I haven’t made any changes lately (still doing low carb thing)…trying to drink more water – although I already drink a lot…I hope these will help, I just ordered them!

• You are still so new post partum, you hormones are probably just balancing back out still but no fun when you are in the middle of it. If it makes you feel better, I have never noticed any acne on you!

• Cassandra says:

I’ve been reading a lot more about issues with acne, as I still have it and my husband has horrible back acne. It seems to be an autoimmune type response from damaged gut lining that flares up when hormones are involved. Toxins will of course also contribute. I would suggest trying no-grain rather than low-carb and doing some detox after you’re done nursing. I’ve found that using wet bentonite clay for a facial once a week. Just slather it on, let it dry, rinse off. Ingesting and putting clay on your skin is a safe detox method to use while you’re pregnant/nursing too.

11. Ive been wanting to start the butter/CLO supplement but are they ok to take with rx prenatal vitamins? I’m currently 29 weeks….

• I take mine with prenatal vitamins. But I am not sure about RX ones…I am going to contact the company with everyone’s specific questions tonight and I will get back to you.

• Cassandra says:

FCLO and butter oil are technically more like food, not a supplement. As such, they do not have chemicals or additives that would interfere or bind with prenatal vitamins. Furthermore, unless you’re taking a whole food vitamin (which I would hazard a guess does not apply to prescription vitamins) the vitamins are not bioavailable and you’re excreting most of it in your urine as inactive elements.

12. u r so stunning and so is your little girl!!

13. Michelle says:

I gained 60 lb and thought it was a world record. I haven’t tried it but will check back after a couple months taking it. I’ve been hovering 160 forever…20 lb more than my “prebaby” size. Not so lucky to walk away with no stretch marks. Looks like a sad little kangaroo pouch.

14. Angela says:

I love the picture of you holding Penelope so close to the flowers. I did the same exact thing as soon as I got home from the hospital in May. I literally pushed everything in the garden up my son’s nose and got his head right under all the pollen, etc. I had no idea what I was doing at the time (it was 7 yrs ago this May), but had this “feeling” to just do it, to expose him to the elements. He currently has no allergies (knock on wood). Maybe that had something to do with it, who knows! Did you have the similar thought process when you were doing this in the picture? I couldn’t do it with my daughter 3 yrs ago b/c we had snow!

Great article too, btw!!! Thanks for sharing.
    -Angela

15. Was this a sponsored post?

• Nope! I mentioned that in the post actually. :)

• Oh! I had actually stopped reading the sentence before that when you said to get that specific brand LOL :) I tire so of sponsored posts and I thought that was what this was :) I am hitting the gym to get rid of my baby weight maybe I will add in CLO!

16. Rebecca says:

Hi! So I actually wanted to start taking vitamins. I took prenatal forever and now take nothing. Do you take a multi? Also I was reading about omega 3. Is that the same as cod liver oil??? Thanks!

• Yes, I still take a prenatal vitamin. I am still nursing Penelope, even though she probably only gets a tablespoon worth each day. And I figure I will take prenatal as long as I am of childbearing age. And no omega 3 is not the same as cod liver oil, although cod liver oil has lots of omega 3 in it. Read some of the comments below for more info.

17. Julie Morrison says:

Thank u SO much for all of this wonderful information!! God has a special place in Heaven for u. I can FEEL it. ;-) u rock!!

• That made me laugh, you are too sweet! Passing along helpful information has always given me joy, and to be able to do so on this blog on a larger scale is a dream come true. ;)

18. Laura Bickmore says:

Woo that is expensive! It sounds great, but I think I will have to be very convincing if I want to put this in our budget. And is it supposed to be butter-oil with the cod-liver oil? I have never heard of butter oil before. Thanks for all you do!

• Yeah, I use the butter/cod liver oil blend. They have just cod liver oil if you prefer. Yes, it is very expensive, but so worth it! You are worth it!

• Laura Bickmore says:

Aww, Thanks Stephanie. If I can manage to get my hands on these lovely supplements I will let you know how they help. I am hovering around 130 and want to get back to my 120-ish weight. (I am a short person :) )

19. Jennifer says:

Wow. I am hovering right now at 146 and trying to get back to 132 as well! I got back there after my first baby but now I have 3 and thought there was no hope. I exercise a couple of days a week and generally eat healthy. I could always do better but find it so challenging with a 4, 2 and 1 year old. How many capsules do you take a day?

Also, could you tell me more about the supplement you take to control sugar cravings?

• Hi Jennifer, check out my post I did called How I Quit Sugar. You can search for it in the search icon to the right or scroll through the Real Food tab at the top. I was taking 2 a day, but just realized I need to be taking much more. I just upped to 6 day. To get the full dosage, you should be taking 12 a day, but that would be insanely expensive.

20. How funny that I’m reading this now! My son is 8 months old and during my pregnancy I gained 75 lbs .. And not a single stretch mark too. Right now I’m 7 lbs away from my pre-pregnancy weight. I haven’t done anything (weight loss related) to lose the baby weight. I take CLO too and breastfeed on demand almost exclusively, aside from BLW solids he gets when I eat meals – if he happens to be awake!

I didn’t know CLO helps raise metabolism ! I take green pastures too. My doula told me its amazing for baby and I.

21. crystal says:

Hi there,

Love your blog!! Stumbled upon it while on Pinterest. I know you recommend the Green Pastures, but do you know if anyone has had any luck with the cheaper brands? Or have you heard of any other that are cheaper? I want to try this!!!! But at the present I cannot pay that much!! Thanks so much!!!

• I wish I had info for you. I do know if you search the Weston A Price foundation, they rate different cod liver oil companies. But I am pretty sure all the companies are in the general price range of Green Pastures. My gut, first reaction, would be that any cod liver would be better than nothing. ;)

22. I was on Pintrest and just stumbled on a link to one of your posts and then found my self here…. Ironically enough I am almost 18 weeks pregnant. I was a bit overweight before I got pregnant so its been a concern and a goal to eat a bit healthier and keep weight off for this pregnancy. So many of my friends have gained soooo much weight when pregnant, and I understand completely (as I am going through it now) that pregnancy cravings can be strong. My second appointment with my doctor I had lost a pound from the first visit and I was SUPER happy. Is the Cod liver oil safe to start taking while pregnant or should I talk with my doctor? I again am not looking to loose a ton of weight or any really while pregnant, but I know being overweight to begin with, that me staying the same weight as the baby grows mean that I am loosing some fat. I again was not that active before I was pregnant and have been trying to go for walks (also moved to a second floor apartment as i found out i was pregnant). Do you have any advice to stay fit or keep active while pregnant?
    Thanks so much, I am definitively going to be visiting your page more often now!

23. Catherine says:

I just found out I’m 3 weeks pregnant and just ordered the green pasture CLO, but was told by a dr. that Vitamin A is toxic during pregnancy but has never heard of taking CLO. Is the level toxic in the green pasture CLO??

• Cassandra says:

Hi Catherine. It is true that it’s relatively easy to reach toxic levels with vitamin A supplmentation, but the studies that have analyzed this fail to take into account all of the factors that make up vitamin A toxicity. The most important factor is that the natural form of vitamin D, the kind you get from the sun, uses up vitamin A such that it’s essentially impossible to reach toxic levels of vitamin A when consumed together with vitamin D. FCLO has the naturally occuring proper ratios of vitamin A to vitamin D that prevent toxic levels of either vitamin. In fact, vitamin A toxicity can actually be considered vitamin D deficiency.

I should add that those toxicity studies also don’t differentiate between synthetic vitamin A and naturally occurring vitamin A, which further muddies the claim against CLO. You’re doing yourself and your baby an amazing service by consuming FCLO with all its naturally occuring vitamins in tact.

24. This is interesting! I have been looking into what supplements I should be taking. I had my first baby 12 weeks ago and I breastfeed exclusively. I take my prenatal supplements along with and additional vitamin D supplement and some extra calcium. I gained 45 pounds during my pregnancy and was an average weight before that. I was pretty into running and aerobics classes and I’m getting back into it currently. I feel like I have been dealt a pretty crappy hand of genetics. I’ve had hormone and insulin resistance issues in the past and now I was just diagnosed with an irregular heart beat so I’ll be seeing a cardiologist soon. I know that fish oils are supposed to be great for the heart. The one I have in my house now contains anchovy, mackerel, and sardine oil. Is cod really supposed to be the best of all fish oils? Because of my health background, I would really like to get into a better supplement regimen and get better at clean, heart healthy eating and whole foods.

• Yes, it is far superior than other fish oils. Good for you to taking charge of your health!

• Cassandra says:

Hi Jess, technically speaking, cod liver oil and fish oil are not the same thing. Fish oil is simply the oil that is made from ground fish, processed with chemicals, and some fish oils are fortified with synthetic ingredients.

Cod liver oil is specifically made with livers of cod fish because they have higher concentrations of vitamin A and D – a similar example is goose liver which has high concentrations of vitamin K. Unfortunately due to industrial processing, regular cod liver oil has almost no vitamin D in it and only a little vitamin A, so manufacturers fortify it with synthetic vitamins.

Fermented cod liver oil, which is what Steph is talking about, is a traditional processing method that retains the natural vitamin content. It’s not that oil from cod fish is superior, but rather that the livers of cod have high vitamin concentrations and are not just fatty acids, like fish oil.

Personally, I would not take fish oil at all because of all the disgusting crap that manufacturers allow into it. It’s true that proper ratios of omega 3, 6 and 9 will keep the blood fluid and unsticky, and therefore not clog arteries as easily, but will not help fix an irregular heartbeat. Heartbeat is a muscular thing and can be affected by something as simple (but still serious) as magnesium deficiency. But good luck getting anyone in mainstream medicine to see that.

• THANK YOU for your insight! It’s difficult doing research on this kind of topic. I’m not looking to fix the arrythmia but to add to the overall health and therefore better my chances. I know what you mean though, the more research I do, the more mainstream medicine angers me. So many doctors act like taking prescription drugs are always the solution. Through my own experience, I know nutrition is a huge factor in the case of many medical problems. However, I’ve never been serious about supplements besides taking mulitvitamins so I’d like to change that.

25. Just curious, I am allergic to seafood, have you heard of any alternative way to get the same benefits without fish being involved?

• Cassandra says:

Hi Mary, the “secret” behind FCLO affecting fat loss is basically vitamin D and healthy fats. It’s a little bit more complicated than that, but those two things are at the core. I suggest slathering on some coconut oil, or even eating a great big spoonful, and sunbathing with as much bare skin as possible until your skin pinks up, which varies for different people but it’s about 15-20 minutes. Unsurprisingly, vitamin D production stops right at the point your skin will begin to burn, so don’t stay out any longer than that. I’ll be doing a post in a couple weeks all about vitamin D, so check that out for more information!

26. If more people looked at your site they could do a 360 on their life.

27. Hi Stepanie,
    This is a great post, I’ve read it few times but now that I am trying to conceive again, I’m interested in starting to take this supplement. What is the reccommended dose? I’ve been goggling it, and some sites are staying like 12 capsules a day. Is this true?

• I know it seems insane. And from what I understand it is the correct reccommended dosage. But I can not handle that. Pills down my throat wise and money in my wallet wise. So I take two in the morning and two at night. When and if we decide to start actively trying for another baby, I will probably up that to two more pills at mid day.

28. I keep thinking and thinking about this but I’m afraid of the taste, the smell and the burps. I have read, from people who take it and love it, that it smells rancid and tastes horrible. Because it is quite pricey, I’m afraid to take the financial leap if I won’t be able to stomach it. I’m interested in it for my children, almost 2 and 4 and that’s the tricky part– will they take it?

• I don’t take the liquid version, I take the capsule kind. When you first start taking it you may notice the taste, but it is not bad at all, in pill form anyway. I do not understand how people can take the liquid version, no way I could do that, but the pills are great!

29. Just wondering what you recommend (or what you took) for a prenatal vitamin/supplement? I am trying to find a prenatal that is NOT synthetic, and none of my Dr.’s seem to be able to help! Thanks!!

• I use Solaray, which is technically synthetic but a good quality brand. I did take some organic liquid vitamins for a little bit, but then I started to associate the nausea with the vitamins and they would make me want to throw up so I went back to the good quality pill form.

30. Hi,
    Hope you’re still accepting comments and questions. I’ve been looking at getting cod liver oil as I’m trying to prepare my body for pregnancy and ensure I get the right nutrients. I read your article on cod liver oil. Did you take the one from Green Pastures that is combined with butter oil or without? Also, what about mercury content? The website does not seem to clearly state anything about removing mercury content.
    I look forward to your reply, and your articles have been very helpful, thank you!

31. I have question…I got the Green Pasture Cod Liver Oil capsules you recommended. I am curious if you take two a day as recommended. If so, do you take them at the same time and what time of day do you take them? I am just curious as to what would be the most beneficial.

Thanks,
    Mary

32. I used to only take 2, and now I take 6. Before when I took two, I did one in the morning and one at night. Now I do two in the morning, two at midday and two before bed.

33. Thank you! I appreciate the information.

1. [...] number 1 weight loss tip post got lots of questions about how I escaped a pregnancy in which I gained about 80 pounds and did not [...]

2. [...] of the questions I get asked regularly is what kind of supplements I take.  After I posted my number 1 weight loss tip post and talked about one of my most important supplements, the emails asking about what other [...]

3. [...] What I’m writing about today has to do with how much fat we should be eating. So often do I see strong proponents of Dr. Price, and similarly paleo, continue to struggle with health problems – energy levels, depression, skin conditions, digestive ailments, hormone dysfunction – long after their weight ceased to be an issue. For some their weight never was an issue, and yet they still struggle. Consider the significant difference Stephanie had by using a small dosage of fermented cod liver oil. [...]

4. [...] memory, my body shapes up and tones up pretty easily.  And despite whatever weight I have been at (at the end of my pregnancy with Penelope I was over 110 pounds heavier than I am now), I have kept a nice shape.  Don’t forget about my number one weight loss tip  and my tip [...]