Natural Remedy for Pink Eye & Styes

When I was 20, I got mono. Apparently, it manifests differently in everyone and everyone has different symptoms (other than the fatigue).

I got the regular fever, achy, and fatigue symptoms, but I also got pink eye in both eyes and a yeast infection. So fun!

Looking back, just like the book The Fourfold Path to Healing says, each time you get sick it is a spiritual AND physical transformation. When you get mono, a big transformation is going on and that was true for me at that time.  I was processing a lot at that time about my mother and my health was so poor because I had been a vegetarian for a couple of years at that point.

*Note: I think there are some people who can thrive on vegetarianism, by eating lots of grass-fed butter, raw milk and pastured eggs, but I was not doing any of that. I was eating lots of grains and tofu.  I was a vegetarian because I wanted no part in the cruel treatment of animals that happens in industrialized farming.  I had no idea that I had another option of buying directly from farms that are dedicated to compassion and sustainability.

Anyway, so to deal with my pink eye I got antibiotics because I didn’t know any better.

Later, I found out about colloidal silver. For the next year or so, after I got mono, I got pink eye often, and whenever I felt it coming on, all I had to do was spray some colloidal silver in my eye and it was gone the next day.

It works great on styes as well.  Just last week, I thought I had a pink eye.   I had a horrible stye and my eyes were red and itchy.  Turns out it was just the pollen making them red, but the stye was awful looking and painful.

I sprayed the colloidal silver in my eye and within an hour it came to a head.  Later that night, I was able to lance it (pop the white head).  I sprayed the colloidal silver in my eye again before bed and it was gone the next day.

Colloidal silver is highly antibacterial.  So on top of using it for infections in your eye, you could spray into a glass of water and drink it to help fight any cold or flu bugs.

Have you ever used colloidal silver before?

Comments

1. Michelle says:

Colloidal Silver is practically magic. My parents make their own which is much cheaper in the long run. I don’t current use it, but have in the past. There are so many benefits to it. Thanks for reminding me about this wonderful “drug.”

2. Michele H says:

Your post came at a great time. My almost 4yo son has pink eye for the second time in two weeks. It’s going around the daycares (nephew in another location got it too). The first morning, he woke up looking like a prize fighter. Left eye was swollen almost shut and bright pink. We went to pediatrician and got rx for topical antibiotics (drops) and oral. Thank goodness my son spit out the oral antibiotics at every attempt. I didn’t want him to have them but DH and MIL were not taking no for an answer since they were prescibed by the DR. I have read that Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother- I use Braggs ) diluted in distilled water is also a good remedy. Just put in enough to change the color of the water and instill in eye every few hours. Wish I had known about the homeopathic remedies before I brought him to DR.

3. Jennifer says:

Have you seen “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” with the father who says “Put some Windex on it!” to every problem? Well, my mother-in-law is like that, except she says “Put some colloidal silver on it!”. It’s good stuff.

4. Talia Miller says:

We use colloidal silver spray when we feel a cold coming on! Also my son had really bad eczema behind his ears for about a year. It was disgusting weepy and bloody and nothing helped. I even took him into the Dr to have allergy testing done. The docs told me it wasn’t fungal, and pretty much they didn’t know what it was :( I tried colloidal silver because my husband got a free sample of it. It took one week to clear up and never came back! I am pretty sure it was fungal but not totally certain. Anyway we are big colloidal silver lovers now. I didn’t think to spray in eyes for pink eye though. Thanks!!

5. Gabrielle says:

I love your blog. But I’m going with the Mayo Clinic on this one. My hubby is also a physician.

• I checked out that link to the mayo clinic. They had several other replies to questions about other reputable natural remedies. All of which were the same as the reply to the question about colloidal silver: There haven’t been enough studies to determine whether or not the “natural remedy” is indeed effective. I was hoping for some actual information. It seemed like that was their standard reply to any remedy that is non pharmaceutical?

• Pharmaceutical aka Chemical Plant.

• Hi Amber, as a pharmacist, we get this question a lot. Basically, a drug made a by a pharmaceutical company has to go through a series of trials in order to be approved by the FDA (costing millions, if not billions of dollars depending on the drug). With that being said, they will eventually get a return on their investment after it comes to market. Vitamins, herbals, etc, do not have to go through these trials controlled by the FDA. Many drug companies will not pick up these “natural products” because they will not get their return on investment (i.e., not lucrative), so good remedies will go unnoticed or classified as not useful because of this stigma. However, on the flip side, many “natural” companies see this as a green light to enter a billion dollar industry. Many products that come from over seas contain high amounts of heavy metals because there are no regulations. Select products that have a GMP symbol (Good Manufacturing Practices) because they are reputable. It is very easy to dismiss a feasible option because “there aren’t any studies to back the claim.” But like anything else, there can always be side effects to natural remedies, regardless if it’s “natural” or not, it is still a drug. In this case, in high doses of silver, or if not appropriately washed out, silver can cause blindness. As for the medical community, It was once commonplace for newborns to have their eyes flushed with silver nitrate if there was suspicion the mother had gonorrhea. As a result, staff would forget to wash out one eye or both, which resulted in blindness. So, yes, it was deemed appropriate by the medical community in years past; however, other medications came along. I apologize for the length of the post, but I am extremely passionate about my career and I always keep an open mind for my patients.

6. Have used in nose spray form for sinus infections before, it’s awesome!

7. Just in time, Steph! I’m currently with the aforementioned nephew above :) Poor F and A and their eyes… I am SO anti antibiotic, which the aforementioned MIL’s other son thinks I am crazy for my antivax/antidoc approach at my choices in healthcare for me and my daughters. Like you, Steph, stress tends to knock me out with sickness, but I have managed not to get strep or pink eye despite my close proximity to these within the last few weeks. I love discovering new homeopathic and natural remedies which have worked very well for me and my smalls. I’ll add this one to the book! Thanks for sharing :)

8. Mandy Frehner says:

Breast milk also works wonders on pink eye! I got it while nursing one time and read that rubbing some of it in my eye would clear it up. It was totally cleared up the next day. Yeah for breast milk!

9. My baby girl just got her first cold how would I use this cs stuff to help her spray on my breast and then let her nurse? Thanks, Amee

• I would just spray some in water that you are drinking. She will get everything she needs in perfect ratio from your breast milk that way. Everything you put in your body goes into your breast milk. So if you take some elderberry and garlic to boost immunity for the cold, she will get it too. I have several posts about natural remedies for colds, so be sure to check those out.

10. I have never heard of this spray! I’m going to have to stock it in my medicine cabinet. Seems like there’s many uses for it. Thanks for sharing!

Back when I was nursing, I used breast milk for all sorts of ailments. Pink eye cleared up over night with a few drops of breast milk, and the same for ear aches. Just a few drops of breast milk in the hurting ear, and the pain was gone the next day. You just gotta love the stuff, you know?

11. I read this post a few weeks ago and it was the first time I had ever heard of colloidal silver. My daughter has gotten pink eye 3 times in the last year since she started daycare and I plan on using it the next time it happens. I also used it myself for the first time tonight for an ear infection. I put 3 drops in my right ear a couple of hours ago. Since then my ear has had a bit of a warm sensation and the pain is beginning to subside already. I’m hoping to see a big different by tomorrow morning. I really don’t want to go to the Dr’s office if I don’t have to.

Thanks! :)

12. Where can I buy this colloidal silver spray?
    I have a stye on my left eye and its starting to swell :(
    Also, is it safe to use while pregnant?

13. theresa williams says:

I am a first time reader of this website. ( I typed in cures for pink eye and styes and your website came up), i have some colloidial silver on hand. I am going to try it in my left eye tonite. thankyou.. i have had pinkeye and a stye forming for a few days and am miserable. i have tried warm wet wash clothes to the eye. helps a little. i have never heard of using apple cider vinegar. that is a good idea iwill pass all this on. thankyou so much theresa

14. Does it burn? My 2 yr old niece needs to have surgery to correct a lazy eye but she has had a sty for a couple of months now and Dr says it needs to go away or they won’t operate. She was on antibiotics but she developed a rash so they stopped the meds. Anyway, just wanted to know if it burns?

15. I just wanted to say thank you!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had a stye in my left eye two months ago. Did all the things I was supposed to and finally just went to the doctor and got a steroid shot. It went away but last week my whole family was sick. I was sleep deprived, stressed and sick and on Saturday morning I woke up with a stye. I started hot tea bags, hot compresses, witch hazel, baby shampoo mixed with tea tree oil, etc. Nothing worked and it was getting more painful and itchy. So I stumbled upon this page just to see if there was something I could do as a last resort to going to the doctor. I’m amazed. I started it yesterday morning after purchasing it at whole foods. I did an eye wash with it and sipped a swig of it. I did that three times and this Morning it’s like gone! Amazing. I will continue today and possibly tomorrow just to be sure but I’m amazed. I didn’t do any hot compressed etc just the colloidal silver. Thanks again❤❤❤

16. Coconut oil is another remedy that can be used on a sty. Good to know the colloidal silver doesn’t burn! Might have to try that one as well.

17. Can babies, under the age of one take CS?

• I am not a doctor, so don’t take this as medical advice, but I have no problem spraying CS on a baby if they had some eye stuff going on. I don’t know if I would put it in a bottle or sippy cup till older, but you could certainly up your dosage of it if you are breastfeeding and the baby would get it through your breastmilk. Everything you put in your body gets in your breastmilk, good or bad.

1. […] Natural Remedy for Pink Eye & Styes – Mama and Baby Love — A … […]