10 Healthy Foods My Toddler Will Eat

Penelope is a mildly picky eater.  She wont eat everything that is put in front of her like she did when she was a baby (we did baby led weaning), but there are still plenty of healthy and nutritious things she will eat.

Here are her Top 10:

1. Eggs.  Scrambled, fried, hard boiled, or raw in her smoothie.  She eats about 2 to 3 eggs a day.

2. Steak.  She is not a fan of chicken, but she will eat an entire steak for dinner.

3. Hotdogs.  I know this may be questionable, but I personally think it is fine.  I buy organic with no nitrates and I peel the skin.

4. Smoothies.  She gets a smoothie most every day.

5. Fruit.  She loves apples, bananas and all kinds of berries, frozen and fresh.

6. Almonds.  She likes almonds and pecans.  I soak them and dehydrate them to make them easier to digest and give her about a handful when she wants them.

7. Cheese.  I wish she would eat raw cheese, but I have not found a flavor that she likes. She will only eat mossarezzla string cheese.  Which has some protien and nutrients in it, but because it’s processed it really lacks the vitamins and nutrients of raw cheese.  But I figure it’s a better snack than chedder bunnies.

8. Raw Milk.  Once I night weaned her, she started requesting cow’s milk.  I give her about 2 sippy cups full of raw milk a day. I made the mistake of letting her have some Horizon Organic vanilla flavored milk at Starbucks one day and now I have to put a bit of it in her raw milk.  So I mix about an ounce of the Horizon vanilla in with her cup of raw milk.

9. Fish Nuggets.  When she was  a baby she would eat baked salmon, but not anymore.  I found some wild caught, Alaskan fish nuggets that are Gluten Free and she LOVES them.

10. Brocolli. Sautéed in a ridiculous amount of butter.  She will eat like 2 cups worth when I fix it.  But it has to be fresh, she wont eat it heated up the next day.

She also loves to eat soup, and on occasion: bacon, sausage, butter straight with a spoon, yogurt bites with probiotics, guacamole (but not avocados) Go Raw granola bars (sprouted and soaked grains) and the random vegetable other than broccoli, asparagus and corn mostly, and the occasional organic Elmo cracker or veggie sticks chips.

What does your toddler’s eating habits like?  Is there anything you wish he/she ate?  I wish Penelope still ate fried bananas!  Oh, and liver pate. She used to love her some liver pate, now she hates it.  :(

Comments

1. The Annessa Family says:

Oh wow! She has a good group of foods she likes! Great job mama!

Brooke

2. Eli our son who is 2yrs 2 1/2 months now eats basically everything you have listed there with exception to raw milk but he suprisingly will eat steamed veggies with nothing on them! He eats veggies every night and has started to ask for salad when we eat it! He used to eat avacado like a champ but that ship sailed.
    Some other items he loves: Rice cakes, whole wheat pasta, Orange Juice which he absolutely loves, Kashi Cereal Bars, Raisins, Craisins, Greek yogurt and he just came around to loving Kiwi fruit!

3. PharmaMom says:

My daughter is the same way with broccoli! We used to have to cut her off because the sheer quantities she was eating would give her gas!

She also loves grapes, peas, sweet potato sticks and frozen greek yogurt (http://www.babyfoodscoops.com/raspberry-frozen-greek-yogurt)

• My son is the same way. He is 17 months and has always loved broccoli! But if he has too much he will so very gassy and wake up in the night. Same way with lentils.

4. It sounds like your daughter is doing GREAT on her eating habits. I used to love to feed my boys smoothies — seems like you could get them to eat any fruit as long as it was blended up with a couple ice cubes, a banana, some yogurt, etc.

5. Good job on getting your toddler to eat these foods. You said you followed baby lead weaning but then you said you night weaned her. I thought if you let your baby lead the weaning you don't force them to stop nursing. I read on your FB that she would cry out at night for milk and you would tell her no. That is not attachment parenting or baby lead weaning.

6. Nessa Bixler says:

Our daughter loves hummus. It is one of her favorites.

7. Relax. I was just stating the facts.

8. hi!

i recently found your blog and love it! i too had nursing issues with my daughter who is now 15 weeks old. coincidentally, she started nursing, finally, about a month ago and shortly thereafter, i linked to your site through cheeseslave. I applaud your dedication!!!

in any event, i have a 5 year old daughter, as well and she too was exposed to the horizon milk…ugh. Sometimes when she is hankering for flavored milk, i add vanilla and a few drops of stevia to raw milk and voila -vanilla milk with no added sugar!!!

9. I found your blog the other week and have been enjoying it. I'd love to see a post or your thoughts on what the first foods Penelope started eating were!

10. @vg…that sounds like a good idea, although I don't know much about stevia. :)
    @jill… I would love to share about that, coming right up!

11. I would be careful with night weaning. A child needs food every 2-3 hours to work with their growing body. That is why they nurse through the night. If you keep them from doing this, you can mess with their metabolism and growth.

12. Oh my goodness, where did you find those salmon bites and what brand are they? My DS used to eat bites of salmon as a baby but won't touch it anymore. He's rather particular too, but we're in the same camp as you. Baby-led and while picky, still eats some wickedly good foods (garlicy scrambled eggs are his fave food).

13. Katherine Barclay says:

Hey I was wondering if you could tell me how old you baby is. I would like to be able to compare my 13 month old daughters eating habits to your daughters. Thanks! Love your posts :)

14. @ anonymous…thanks for your concern. I think that is true for an infant and young toddler, but is that still true for a 2 year old? When I night weaned her, she intuitively started asking for cows milk during the day, it was like she was trying to make up for the lost calories. She has continued to grow at a good pace and is in the 75% for weight, so I think she is alright. :)
    @Acacia..they are a brand called Blue Horizon. They do have salmon bites, but Penelope wont eat them. She loves the Fish Nuggets and they are breaded in a gluten free mix and it is wild caught pollock fish.
    @Katherine…my daughter turned two on 11.11.11. She has been eating like this since about 15 months old.

15. Morrison Manor says:

I am SO glad u are just as concerned what ur precious Penelope puts in her mouth as I am with my son. I LOVE your blog!! Love love it!! You're so right about being frustrated with husbands who don't do any research but still want some say in what happens. You're AWESOME!! So glad to have your blog to get ideas from every week!! Penelope's a lucky little girl!!! :-)

@Morrison Manor…yay! so glad you are here! look forward to getting to know you. ;)

17. Anonymous says:

My 20 month old used to eat anything I gave her… corn, green beans, broccoli, fruits, etc…. Now she will only eat it if it's pureed baby food. I've tried to give her cooked vegis and fresh fruit, she just spits it out.

How do you suggest I get her to eat the real deal? I don't want to keep giving her the fruits and vegi's in baby food form.
    Thank you.

@Anonymous…gosh, I am not sure. My first thought is to just keep trying to give her pieces of whatever you are eating and hope that eventually she switches over. Good luck!

19. Lentils! I can not get my little girl to eat meat! Occassionally she’ll chew on a chicken finger or two, or some cold cuts (neither of which I’m excited about!). And she used to eat eggs like a champ, but even that has changed recently. So luckily I can get her to eat lentils and she’ll eat black beans as well. Lentils out of my soup, or some sort of dahl, and black beans in a quesadilla with cheese or just straight out of the can!

20. Stephanie S. says:

My daughter just turned 13 months and I’m now having trouble getting her to eat any solids at all. I literally have to hold her face for the first bite and then she knows it’s something she likes to eat. As long as I can get past the first bite with no tears I’m good…Otherwise, if that doesn’t work she simply just doesn’t want to eat. She won’t take Milk in a Sippy, only a Bottle. And when she won’t eat solids the only thing I can get in her system is milk in a bottle. My other issue with her current eating situation is she’s a bit prissy, LOL, she won’t touch anything wet, slimy, squishy, you name it! I had to roll banana slices in graham crackers just to get her to poke at it. Should I be concerned she isn’t advancing in the ‘food’ department as quickly as other toddlers her age? Any recommendations from you or anyone else who has some encouraging advice would be appreciated. I’m so worried she isn’t getting enough nutrition since she recently developed this phobia of eating. Thanks :)

• Picky eaters can be so frustrating! That must be hard on your patience. I would just keep doing what you are doing, the best you can, offering lots of different kinds of food, different times of day, and see what she does best with. Have you tried eggs? My daughter is such a picky eater but will eat eggs in all forms. So even if she only eats a smoothie and eggs all day, I feel good because eggs have so much nutrition in them. There is a slight chance she may have something going on with textures and feelings of food. I do not know much about it at all, but you may want that on your radar and do a little research. But I am sure she is just a strong headed toddler just trying to drive you crazy! Good luck!

• Hello, all! I am a mother of two precious little ones with one little bun in the oven and I would like to weigh in with a little bit of encouragement. My first little guy was treated more traditionally–breast fed for 15 months and then an I moved on with the usual baby food, finger food routine with him. When he started getting a little more particular, I panicked and turned him into a really picky eater by catering to his every whim. I made a lot of mistakes with him… By three years old, my hubby and I were prayerfully determined to turn down a better nutritional path with him and we started feeding him little bits of everything we were having. He was old enough to require him to take one bite and we discovered, over the course of about six months to a year, that he was eating almost everything that we would eat. Our now two year old baby girl was in the oven, so to speak, at this time and I had started researching real food nutrition and baby led weaning. Once born, I followed this way of feeding religiously Nevertheless, at about 22/23 months, she turned on the toddler pickies. While she eats better than a lot of toddlers, she still will not eat many of the foods she started on–raw cheese, egg yolks scrambled with butter, etc. At first I was discouraged–and still can be on some days, but now I just giver her the food we are eating and pray she gets what she needs for now. I sneak other nutrition in during snack time–pastured butter and coconut oil in chicken stock, egg yolks in smoothies, coconut oil spread on sourdough with peanut butter. She is still breastfeeding at a little over two and I am thankful for that because I feel like it is filling in the gaps and I kind of think this is just a normal part of development. (As a side note, children with speech delays–used to be a verbal behavior therapist–can be super picky and it is all connected with texture sensitivity so I think a lot of the toddler pickiness is related to language development!) So stick with it! Feed them nutritious, real food and eventually you can prod them along to better eating as they get a little older like we did with my now five year old who just wolfed down grass fed beef chili with beef heart mixed in it. My two year old kept saying, “yucky” and wouldn’t even take a bite! A funny note–when the pickies started, I could tell it was a will oriented matter because she would eat something, clearing the bowl, while calling it yucky the entire time. Agh! My advice: Keep praying and stand your ground with God’s good, real food. Eventually, your little ones will likely be eating right along with you. (I am telling myself this much as I am telling you:)

21. My Scarlett lives to chew on celery sticks and carrot sticks. Loves to dip them in hummus, peanut butter, or ranch. We have to watch her because she is still very young but she lives to eat.

22. Did you say spoonfuls of butter, raw egg, and hotdogs? I’ve never heard of this…seems unhealhy, please enlighten me!!

• YES!! I know, it hard to wrap your head around first. But it can’t be any butter, eggs or hotdogs. It has to be pastured, butter, preferably raw. Pastured eggs and the only hotdogs I let her eat are the Applegate Organics, they are from grass-fed cows, no nitrates, etc. And I peel the skin.

23. good job! i’m sure your baby will grow up healthy! keep it up!

24. Nikki Smith says:

So any suggestions on introduction to my 10mth old he loves to eat but I have stayed away from the traditional route of grain cereals and while we have covered almost all veggies and fruits I wonder what to do next. At what age did you introduce meat, eggs, cheese fish?

• Good for you for staying away from grains and cereals. Your child will thank you one day. I introduced fish, meat and cheese at 10 months. I did eggs (slightly cooked liquid egg yolk) at 6 months. Scrambled and fried eggs at 10 months.

1. [...] Click here to read the recipe or watch my video tutorial below.  This is another post you might enjoy-10 Healthy Foods My Toddler Will Eat.  [...]