Breakfast Freezer Meals: Individual Quiche

I am a big fan of Weston A. Price and I make eggs and sausage or eggs and bacon, every single morning for myself and Penelope and sometimes Peter if he has enough time before work.  It gets pretty old.  Not the taste of it, pastured eggs from a local farm, are delicious, but the making a full meal, using the stove, cleaning up in the morning, is just time consuming.

I was looking for a way to streamline my morning breakfast routine without giving in to eating something like cereal and milk.  I saw someone who had made and frozen breakfast burritos on Pinterest and then I remembered something my friend Bethany did years ago, I used both as inspiration and came up with my own little, frozen, breakfast meal idea.

I basically made a simplified version of my quiche.   I did 12 eggs, some raw milk, a package of sausage (from a local pork farmer, cooked and chopped before adding in), a little bit of cheese and salt and pepper. I didn’t measure anything, I just eye-balled it.

Then I poured it into a cupcake cooking pan.  I made the HUGE mistake of not lining them with paper cups or at least buttering the pan.  I had to throw the pan out, after three days of soaking and scrubbing, I still could not get it clean.  Don’t make my mistake!

I cooked them at 350 for about 20 minutes.  Actually, I am not too sure on the time, I check on them and when they look and smell done, I stick a knife in to see if any egg sticks to the knife. If the knife comes out clean, they are done.

And then you have little individual servings of an egg and sausage breakfast!  I froze them all after they cooled, I put them on a cookie sheet to freeze them, sort of like how I freeze blueberries.  Then after they were frozen a little bit, I bagged them into small, individual, freezer bags.

I pull two out the night before I want to eat them in the morning.  It is defrosted by the morning and then I zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds.  You could warm them in your toaster oven or regular oven if you wanted to avoid using a microwave.  You should if you can, it really is bad for you, to use your microwave, but I am lazy.

Enjoy!  If you have any questions let me know.

Posted by Picasa

Comments

1. The Annessa Family says:

Great idea! Healthy and easy – love it!

Brooke

2. why is it bad to use the microwave? (feels like i'm asking a dumb question)

love the idea though – i never get quiche cuz my husband is allergic – so why make a whole one just for me?! now i can!!!!

and i work from home – so quick easy breakfasts are something i need! and it's far cheaper than buying the frozen ones that suck anyway!

3. LOVE This and I am totally doing this over the weekend. Keep the ideas coming!

4. This is dumb but what is raw milk? Just like regular milk?

I think I'm going to make this shortly so I can have good breakfasts b/c I work all the time and I hate buying breakfast out!

5. With a baby on the way in three weeks I'm always looking for frozen meal ideas. Can't wait to make these for breakfasts!

6. So glad you all like it!

@heather..not a dumb question at all! If you check out this link, it explains it pretty well: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2010/03/dangers-of-microwave-cooking/
    @CajunFleur…raw milk is unpasteurized. It has all the healthy enzymes and bacteria in it, that normally get killed during pasteurization. The link I gave Heather, has some good info on raw milk…just search raw milk at that site and prepare to have your mind blown!

7. Love it. Bet you could also cut each one in half through the side to make egg/sausage patties and put them on buttermilk biscuits or something like that.

8. Mmm these sound yummy and just perfect for our family!!! never heard of "raw milk" before! would it make a difference in cooking, taste, or freezing if I was just to use "normal skim milk?"

9. I also recommend http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/cottage-cheese-muffins-recipe.html. Heidi Swanson is one of my favorite food bloggers and she is also a photographer so her images are always lovely. I have never made a recipe from her site that I haven't loved. These muffins are a staple in our house.

10. Anonymous says:

I LOVE your time-saving freezer meal ideas! Especially the crock pot ones with lots of veggies :)

The comment about microwaving started me thinking, though, as I've heard a little bit here and there about the dangers of it. So, I decided to finally do a little research and put my science background to use. After reading several legit articles, I think this one sums it up pretty well: http://www.cspinet.org/nah/04_05/microwavemyths.pdf

I personally still prefer to microwave food in glass containers as opposed to plastic, but I hope now we can maybe be a little less afraid of the big not-so-bad microwave!

11. Awesome. I'm gonna have to try this. I don't wanna sound.. dumb – but why is it bad to use a microwave?

New Follower-

12. @Jess…it is kind of hard to explain, your best bet is to do a google search about it. Or check Weston A Price foundation's main website. And p.s. that is a great question! Thanks for taking the time to ask.

13. Christina Moodie says:

Made these for my husband yesterday. He tired them this morning and loved them! Thanks for the recipe!

14. This looks yummy! I’ve pinned it to Pinterest and I will be making it when we move into our house next month and I get into freezing meals. :)

-Courtney
    peaceloverecipes.com
    optimisticmommy.com

15. I am excited to try this out. I love eggs, but never find time to make them in the morning for just myself (my husband is allergic). I loved this idea so much, I featured a link to this post on my freezer breakfast meals roundup. Thanks!

16. So what works best – buttering the pan or cupcake liners? I’m not into having to butter (I’m lazy in that area!) and yet I’d think the batter would stick pretty bad to the liners.
    I love this idea – I was just saying this a.m. that I didn’t want to cook, almost wished we had cereal & milk to eat (but I haven’t had dry cereal around in ages).
    THANKS! :)

• Oh, I know the feeling! Sometimes I curse that I know better and wish that I could just eat cereal and milk and not have to cook an entire meal every morning. I think they probably would stick to the liners, but not too bad.

• I tried these both ways and spraying the pan with non-stick cooking spray worked much better for me! They didn’t stick AT ALL to the pan but did stick a little when I used the liners.

17. Patricia L. says:

I made these and used cupcake liners – where it saved my pan, the liners are difficult to peel off. Where I know its a concern for some, I’m going to try the silicone liners/pan and report back.

• Like they stuck to the quiche in small pieces or chunks of quiche came off on the liner when you peeled it off? Yes, let us know how the silicone liners do!

18. I know I’m a little late on this, but I just stumbled across your blog via pintrest! I make these all the time and yes, greasing the pan makes clean up a breeze! I noticed that you mixed the sausage into the egg mixture….I found that I was able to spread the meat and/or veggies evenly by putting it into the pan first then pouring the egg mixture over top. They still bake up the same way and this way everything is spread out evenly!

19. Cecile F. says:

My husband and I both try to work out in the morning, and we have a 3yr old and 7 mo. old to feed, all before hubby takes off for work, so I was really inspired to try making these make ahead mini quiches this weekend. They turned out great! I used what we had on hand to add to the eggs: a little sour cream, milk, leftover chicken sausage, tomato, bell pepper, parmesan, and fresh basil. I chopped everything really small so it would distribute better in a small package such as this, and sprinkled some parmesan on top for extra color. I cooked them for about the same amount of time as you did, but then also browned them a bit at the end under a low broiler setting. I can see popping one of these in the microwave in the morning and sandwiching it between a mini whole grain bagel. I love your website. My son was born around the same time as your daughter!

20. Heather Oosterhuis says:

I do something like this as well! I’ve adapted my recipe to suit my mood and made:
    “Cock-a-doodle Oink” adding cheddar and crackling bits (leftover from rendering my lard)
    “Italian” with parm cheese, spinach, and a spoonful of homemade salsa (too lazy to chop onion/garlic etc)
    “Mexi” with choice of cheese and plenty of homemade salsa goodness
    I even use my mini muffin pans for fun kid finger foods!
    The possibilities are endless–just use what you have on hand! I think fontina or gouda cheese with cooked chicken would be great!

21. Have you tried adding things like mushrooms, olives, green chiles or even spinach to these? My husband likes that sort of stuff plus if you use egg while and spinach its quite healthy too.

Now my comment on using the microwave. I love my microwave and since buying a Tupperware SmartSteamer, I feel so much better about it. Inside of the smart (completely covered by plastic) is metal which keeps the micro waves away from your food!!

22. Brenda Fendley says:

I am so enjoying your blog!
    My husband and I recently decided to cut sugar and flour out of our diet.
    Breakfast was the most difficult part. I enjoyed toast, cereal and muffins for breakfast!
    Like you though, I got really bored with eggs. And I got tired of cooking every morning.
    Today I’m using your ideas and making breakfast quiches! Since my husband feels deprived
    if he doesn’t get two eggs, I’m using my Pampered Chef mini-loaf pan (stoneware).
    I used 8 eggs, chopped ham, white cheddar, spinach and salt and pepper.
    Now I’m 4 breakfasts ahead! Thanks so much.

23. I just made these (forgot to put the cheese in darnit) but after i took them out of the oven they completely deflated and the liner got pulled in with it at the bottom. Is this normal or do you think I cooked them wrong?

(Hoping your reply makes it to my email lol)

24. I made these for breakfast this morning and they were yummy! One of my children isn’t thrilled with sausage so I think I may try bacon on the next batch, but the other two kiddos LOVED them! Thanks for the recipe :)

25. Kathleen says:

Does freezing them immediately prevent the rubbery texture from developing on the eggs? I made them on Sundays and would eat them by Thursday so I didn’t bother freezing them. I tried it for three weeks (not in a row). and by the second day they were rubbery and chewy. I may give these a second chance if freezing them after they’ve cooled prevents that.

• I am not sure. I always freeze immediatly and don’t get the rubbery texture, so maybe?? Tell me if that is the case for you, so I know!

1. [...] Since I eat eggs in some form every morning, and honestly it can get pretty boring, I decided to combine my freezer cooking with a delicious change up in my egg routine.  One way that both Penelope and I love to eat our breakfast is a breakfast sandwich inspired by my mini freezer quiches. [...]

2. [...] the past I have done freezeable breakfast sandwhiches, quiches and personal quiches.  All which can be frozen and taken out the morning of, and heated [...]