Natural Remedies for Roseola

Natural Remedies for Roseola

About a month ago my daughter caught the virus bug called Roseola. I didn’t know it was Roseola until the fever had stopped and a rash showed up.

It was a really, really hard week. Roseola makes the child have a very high fever (102 to 106) that lasts 2 to 5 days. Then the rash shows up for a few hours to several days.

The whole time she was MISERABLE. Very sleepy. Very cranky. All she wanted to do was sleep (on me or with me) or nurse, see picture above. It was very hard on my patience!

Normally, she does great with independent play and is happy to help me do dishes or laundry, so for me not to be able to get anything done around the house was TORTURE (I am slightly OCD about things being put away and living in a clean house, so when I say torture, I mean it.)  Looking at mess, to me, is like hearing nails on a chalk board.  Mess is one of Penelope’s new favorite words actually, as she is toddling around the house she will point to something on the floor and say Mesh, mesh!

But I digress.

Thankfully, I had come across two important articles before her virus hit.

This one is from the Healthy Home Economist about not giving Tylenol for a fever, so the fever can actually do its job of killing the virus.  It says that each time you give Tylenol you are weakening the bodies ability to fight off illness and the next time they get sick it will be much worse.

You can also eventually, completely inhibit your body from making a fever.  People who can’t even get a fever are not healthy, to say the least.  So if your kid, goes straight to a high fever with teething or a simple virus.  Be glad!  Your child is healthy and full of vital energy.

So after you read her post, you probably think ok, no problem, don’t give Tylenol. Got it. But when you have a child who is MISERABLE and you are terrified that the fever is too high, it’s a much different story.

Her fever went up and down for three days. It started off at normal 100 and by the afternoon was gone. But then that night it spiked to 102. It went up and down for the next three days and I never gave her Tylenol once.

On the third night it got to 105. At this point, I was scared. And Peter was pissed. He was pressuring me to give her Tylenol.

In the moment, it reminded me of birth (I am a Doula and Childbirth educator so I often see parallels of normal, everyday life and birth). It felt like a hospital birth, where the Mom didn’t want an epidural, but she was being pressured by nurses and her husband to “take her out of her misery.”

He kept saying this is when people take their kids to the ER and all I am asking is for you to give her some TYLENOL!!

I had to negotiate and plead with Peter (just like a mom at the hospital has to do if she wants a drug-free, vaginal birth.)

I begged him to trust me on this and that I knew in my gut that giving her Tylenol wasn’t going to do anything good for her and would actually harm her immune system in the long run. I immediately got us into a tepid bath and told him if the fever didn’t come down in the next 15 minutes, we could give her Tylenol.

After reading this article, and some others, I knew that with a high, high fever of 105, that the high temperature itself, is not what is dangerous, but that it revs up metabolism so high that the child is in risk of dehydration and low blood sugar (which can cause seizures).

So as long as she was sipping, water and fruit juice flavored kombucha I felt like she was ok.  Even though she hardly ate any food for over 5 days, she didn’t even want her bottle, she drank plenty of water and kombucha and of course whatever breast milk she gets from me.  One of the nights, when she woke up I took her into the bathroom to take her temperature and laid her on the cool counter, so I could lean over her (to get gravity on my side) and do hand compressions as she nursed.  She groggily but gratefully, did the sign for milk each time I did the hand compression. It was so sweet.

On another side note, one morning she threw up right after rising.  She threw up what looked to be about 4 ounces of milk.  I had always wondered how much milk she gets throughout the night.  I felt awful that she threw up, but it was wonderful to see how much milk she had in her belly!

So once we were in the bath, I started praying. I was scared and was wondering if I was doing the right thing. Then, I thought of the moment in my labor when my water broke and I saw slightly, green anionic fluid. In that moment, fear took over. But by the grace of God and power of my feminine intuition, despite the green liquid, I knew I was ok. I knew Penelope was ok. I trusted myself and my body completely.

So in this moment, praying for the fever to come down, I was also actively envisioning her aura to change from a red color (because of the fever) to a soft blue and was doing hands on healing.  If I have lost ya’ll here, I promise I will go into it in more detail one day, but long story short here, I have been a Reiki Master (a type of energy healer) for over 10 years.  I do not have a practice, the main reason I did the training so many years ago, was just for this exact moment.  I knew I wanted to be able to have energy healing as part of my repertoire for my family’s personal health needs.

I was able to walk THROUGH the fear and come out the other side. I trusted my intuition and knew I was doing the right thing.

15 minutes go by and Peter is back with the thermometer. Her temp was 101. And stayed at 101 all night. It finally broke for good the next morning and then her rash showed up a few hours later.

When her rash showed up, I was again terrified. The first thing that popped into my mind was Measles, because she is not vaccinated. But after some fun times via Google search, I calmed down and realized she had Roseola and that it is perfectly harmless.

The other great article that helped me get through this virus, was this one. It’s a fantastic article, you MUST read it. The author is a man, who wrote the book the Fourfold Path to Healing, and has some really interesting ideas.

Basically, it says that all illness, whether a fever or cancer, is a spiritual crisis or metamorphosis. You are not the same person you were before the illness, when you come out the other side. You are stronger and your immune system is stronger (if you didn’t give it Tylenol or Anti-biotics.)  “The illness created the construction of a newer, healthier body, one that is more individualized to the dynamics of the child.”

I also love what he said about the parent’s attitude being very important.  That the parent’s confidence in the child’s natural ability to heal itself, helps the child relax and know that everything will be ok and let its body do its work.

In the tub, that night, I fought every urge to panic and have a meltdown. I knew Penelope needed me to have laser beam attention to detail of her virus and what her body was doing, but she also needed me calm so that she could just focus on getting better.

In the end, I am so glad I did not give her Tylenol.  We did take her to the doctor on the third day to rule out if she had an ear infection or strep throat.  I do feel like she is a new toddler after this illness, she really did come out it stronger and healthier.

I would love to hear your stories of not giving Tylenol for high fever and what you did instead.

Also, this is the second post of our Natural Remedies series, you can check out the first one here, Natural Remedies for Broken Bones.

Comments

1. Cassandra says:

Thank goodness you got her checked for strep. Someone from the church my friend goes to had a two year old die within two days of falling ill with strep. http://jacksonkelly.brianbeazely.com

You have to be really, really well prepared and level-headed as a parent. Children rely on their parents in so many ways.

2. MermaidLilli says:

I am very upset that I jsut wrote a very lengthy response and Google just said "Sorry, can't process this at this time" and it disappeared!!!!!

3. MermaidLilli says:

Well, that showed up…grr. Gave you my whole history of mothering 5 kids and what I did with them when they got sick.
    So in a nutshell…. you did great. Trust yourself.

4. this is a great post, and i don't even have kids yet! thanks for sharing those links, too.
    i love your haircut by the way!

5. Maureen says:

We don't give our girls meds, and people think we are nuts for it :) A body produces a fever for a reason. Great job-it can certainly be scary seeing those numbers climb higher and higher on the thermometer… Glad she is feeling better, and what a sweet pic!

6. Heather says:

We don't give Phoenix Tylenol either, just double up on her vitamins if we think she has a sickness coming on or a fever.

7. jenniferbrooke says:

My almost six year old has never had tylenol, antibiotics, or any other medicine. We do take probiotics regularly, but otherwise eat healthy, drink plenty of water, and increase our vitamin c intake if it looks like something yucky is going around. Since starting school, she gets sick once or twice a year, just for a day or two. I use cold compresses, lots of snuggling with mommy, and fluids. Thankfully my husband is really supportive, and even when she had a 104 fever last year, he trusted me to care for her as my intuition supported. You did a great job, and it will help her in the long run.

8. Anonymous says:

I dont think its a good thing for you to advocate for kids not getting tylenol…especially on a blog that people respect. I work in an emergency room and have seen children die from what starts as a fever, and progresses rapidly. Its ridiculous that a child could still be alive if tylenol was given. I would hate for that to be on my conscience. Just a thought from a worried nurse…

@Anonymous…I am not exactly advocating it and I am certainly not giving out medical advice. I am simply sharing my experience. As I stated in the article, I would have given her tylenol if I wasn't able to bring her temp down by natural means.

10. My 10 month old is currently experiencing Roseola and it is difficult.

My husband and I are first-time parents plus this is our baby's first illness. On the second day, I panicked when his fever was up and he could not keep anything down. I had not given him any Tylenol, just cool baths and lots of breastmilk. We went to see a doctor and he gave him Tylenol. It did help him but I was not able to get myself to give him another dose.

After reading this article, I am glad I didn't give him any more but feel terrible that he got a dose. Hopefully, it won't affect him too much! The fever has passed and we are just dealing with the rash…

Also, for some reason, he won't take his afternoon naps. As soon as I put him down he cries… I have noticed a lot of neediness but hope he will be back on his regular nap schedule as soon as the illness is gone.

11. I agree with the nurse above. I'm a paediatrics nurse. I absolutely advocate for not giving tylenol to be able to let the body fight off the fever on its own. I would do the same for my children… But only to a temperature of 102. Anything above that and you definitely get into seizure territory, brain injury. And tylenol does not affect the bodies immune system at all. This worries me…

J

12. @Mireille…so sorry to hear your son had it too, I hoped it passed quickly and you all feeling great.
    @Anonymous…Thanks for your comment, but I disagree. The actual temp in and of itself does not put a child in immediate risk for a seizure. It is the dehyradtion that comes along with a high temp fever that causes the seizures. So everything I have read, as long your child is keeping down some food and fluid and their blood sugar levels are stable, they should not be at risk for a seizure. As one of the articles mentioned, if your child will not drink juice, you can squirt some juice in their butt and it will be absorbed and you can maintain their blood sugar levels that way. I think that the decision to give Tylenol or not, and at what temperature, is unique to each situation and parent, and I am certainly not giving out medical advice, I am simply sharing what I was comfortable with and what we did, but I do feel, based on what I have read (links are in the post, if you have not read them yet) that Tylenol does affect your immune system, by weakening the bodies ability to fight off illness and the next time they get sick it will be much worse.

13. The idea of being “natural” and “chemical free” sounds great in theory…that is until you realize eveyrthing in your house emits “chemicals.” As a scientist, I can assure you the couch you are sitting on has a thousand chemicals on it produced by foreign countries. The are fire retardants, stain repelents, etc. Oh and the ziplocs bags you use for food storage- guess what chemicals that leach into your food. Shampoos- cleaners- shoes- clothing- AIR…my point is, the environment you live in is so much more than tylenol. Thats all.

• I know it can so overwhelming when you think about it, there is no way to truly live your life chemical free. All you can do is do the best you can and hope for the best. :)

14. Julie Morrison says:

Thank you for this wonderful post Stephanie!! I’ve read & researched this so much & I KNOW not to give it bc it’s the body’s way of killing the virus or bacteria but it’s so crazy, when Christian gets sick & his fever gets high, I get nervous & want to do what my parents did & what I grew up with. My parents’ are sayin ‘give him Tylenol or he’ll have a seizure!!’ & I worry. Your post is GOLDEN bc you help us mommas to remember to have confidence in ourselves & our intuition. I KNOW that I make good decisions when they’re MY decisions, not clouded with everybody else’s. So this is why it’s SO great that you shared this. Even if another momma reading this post believes in Tylenol. I feel like ur post tells us to trust our momma guts more than anything else.
    P.S.- To all the ‘anonymous’ people that are so worried about the kids of mommas wanting to do things more naturally & keep as many harmful chemicals out of our children’s bodies as we can. Really? How could u knock that? We are ALL doing the very best that we can. The very best that we know to do. :-) The chemicals on our couches & plastic bags just reiterates WHY we feel the way that we do. Are u suggesting that we just give up? That there’s so many chemicals in our environment that we shouldn’t even TRY to make our children’s bodies healthier?

15. I SO NEEDED TO READ THIS! Our 7 month old daughter, Eden, has never been sick. We don’t vaccinate and see a chiropractor regularly. I come from a family that medicates at the first sign of any symptom. (headache, fever, tired…) so in our decision to not use Tylenol has been met with some pretty aggressive opinions… especially when she started teething. I appreciate and am so grateful that you were willing to post your story! I trust my “mama gut” and its good to know others out there who are on the same path. again thank you! hopefully i remember this and to trust my instincts when sickness knocks at her door! i seriously can not thank you enough for being open and honest on your blog! hopefully i will have the courage to be as transparent as you have been to help other mamas, if i could just get over the “what will people say” “will i lose friends” fear… slowly but surely! ;)

16. Jessica Rooks says:

Hi Stephanie,
    I am so glad that I read this post. I love your blog so much. I am “recovering” from a modern lifestyle of processed foods and lots of medication because of the way that I was raised. I am also a new mom of a 15 month old. Your blog is so super helpful and a wealth of wonderful information. My daughter has only had fever twice, both following rough bouts of allergy symptoms. I am already fighting her dr. on giving her allergy meds. I knew Tylenol was against my gut instinct but I didn’t know what else to do. What makes it worse, is that we live with my mom who makes me feel terrible for making her suffer. She wants me to give her Tylenol or Benadryl for EVERYTHING. I fight her all of the time on the topic (among other things), but I have given it to her not knowing what else to do…I am trying not to feel guilty because I was doing the best I know how.

But your blog is so inspiring for moms to trust their intuition. I have been going against my intuition most of my life and it has always turned out for the worst. You are teaching me to TRUST MYSELF. Thank you so much for being so open and honest on your blog.

17. Awesome story!
    So inspirational thank you!

18. Thanks for the article, pretty sure my son has roseola. Same symptoms (104 fever, grumpy, clingy, wants to nurse all the time). His fever just broke and now he has a rash on his backside… Question: What did you do to treat the rash, or does it go away on its own over time?

Thanks!
    ~Patti

• It goes away on it’s own, it will just take a couple of days. Sorry to hear your little boy isn’t feeling well, I hope you both come out the other side better than ever. :)

19. Hi Stephanie,

I am a mom of three with plenty of fevers (including from roseola). You did great!! I know it’s not easy seeing as my daughter’s fever got to 105 once, too. When my children’s fevers get high I use peppermint essential oil (I like young living) diluted in some olive oil. I rub it on their chest, neck and feet and most times I have to do this every 15 minutes until the fever goes down to a reasonable temp (under 102-103). I do this along with cool washcloths or a warm bath. Plus, of course, lots of cuddles and kisses!!

20. julie c says:

Good for u! My daughter has roseola right now and I didnt give any meds. Shes in the rash stage and still miserable which really sucks but its a part of life. Thanks for the article. It helped me feel a little better because many other articles were saying their kids werent bothered much by it so I was starting to wonder if she had the measles or something. We dont vaccinate either. Kudos to u on that one too!

21. Isabella D says:

I had a natural birth with my second son at home with a midwife. Neither of my boys have been vaccinated. I exclusively breastfed my first son for 2 years and my 11 month old has been breastfed since birth. My 11 month boy is currently battling roseola. I was a firm believer as well on no tylonel or ib profen. My LO was not dehydrated. Had been nursing more than usual. When his temp hit 104.5 he had a febrile seizure. I held my baby in my arms and observed the shaking and convulsing and could do absolutely nothing to stop it. I felt helpless and afraid . I rushed off to the ER in the middle of the night. He cried the whole trip there. His temp stayed at 104. Shortly after we got there he was given a tylonal suppository. His temp went back down to 99 within 1 hour. He stopped crying. I was able to comfort him again. You are a lucky momma and so am I. His seizure did not have any lasting effect. But I feel its necessary to say, please do not give the advise of a doctor. I know you are not trying to. But I was one of those mommas. Giving regular baths trying to get the temp down letting the body heal itself and had the unfortunate expience I will never forget. To all mothers reading this. Please seek the advise of your pediatrician when your child’s temp is high.

• I’m sorry you had such an awful experience, and I am so glad your child is ok, but I stand by my advice and if given the chance to do it all over again, I would do the same. What really needs to happen, in my opinion of course, is moms need to learn how to bring down fevers naturally-effectively and quickly. It’s a skill set we have lost over the years, relying on Dr’s for everything. If we all learn how to keep the body hydrated and blood sugar levels stable, it will ward off fever induced seizures. If blood sugar stays stable, even with high temp, seizures can be prevented.

22. Natalia says:

Hi Stephanie I don’t have kids yet but I love your blog and have found it very helpful and informative. I read this post when you wrote it a few years back and it struck a chord with me. I’d ALWAYS been given/taken fever reducers at the first sign of fever, and my viruses ALWAYS turned into bronchitis that I would immediately get antibiotics for. After I read this post, I resolved not to “wimp out” and trust my body to heal itself. I even found a doctor who doesn’t like prescribing medication and instead writes “prescriptions” to be off work to rest. It’s been really scary at times when I had high fevers or felt bronchitis coming on, but since I’ve decided to rely on my immune system and prayer, I’ve been SO much healthier. The last time I had the flu was 2011, when I used to get it every year; I didn’t even get it last year when my husband had it and I was kissing him. And I can’t even remember the last time I had anti-biotics for bronchitis, when I used to “need” them a few times a year. In this culture of popping pills for whatever ails you and to escape discomfort, it’s very refreshing and helpful to have resources like your blog. Thanks very much for this post and your blog :)

• You are so welcome Natalia! I am so impressed with your dedication to your health! I know it’s hard to feel awful and achey when that fever hits, but it’s the best thing you can do. Lots of love to you on your health and healing journey!!

23. Jennifer Frost says:

Just came across this article when looking up roseola. So thankful you wrote it. :) the fever didn’t last long for us, maybe 24 hours, but the spots just showed up. Not running to the doctor. Happy, spotty baby!

• So glad you found it helpful Jennifer! Hope your little one is feeling better in no time. Penelope is almost 5 and has the most amazing immune system, and I really do credit it partly to how I treated her during this “expression of health-what I like to say instead of being sick” After Roseola, I saw a marked difference in her immune system, it was more robust and stronger. Looking back now, I see that time as one of the big milestones in her early immune system development. It really is beautiful to watch, how masterfuly the human body was designed and how well it can work, when left alone to do what it was designed to do!

24. Hey stephanie! This article was so helpful and encouraging. Im so glad i didnt give him tylenol. His fever only lasted two days and the rash started behind his ear the next day….After the fever broke was your daughter still super clingy and cuddly? Just curious…cause thats how rowen is now. He has been sooo needy!

• Yes, she was super clingy the whole process. If you think about how much transformation is going on, on all levels, when someone is “sick” it can be very overwhelming for a child and they need a steady ground and a person to hold the space for them so they can heal. Lot of love to your little guy, hope he is feeling better soon.

1. […] you are on our Facebook page, you know all about the awesomeness of Penelope starting a low grade fever right before bedtime last […]

2. […] the future, I would like branch out from my natural remedies posts, and write about anything and everything in the energy healing/alternative therapy world, including […]

3. […] much at all.   I have gotten clues of how much milk she was getting at night before (like when she was sick and threw up a ton of milk first thing in the morning) and now as we have started the night weaning process, she gets up about 1.5 hours earlier and the […]